Author Topic: Rub N Buff  (Read 6014 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Rub N Buff
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 06:36:47 AM »
"It will also be a mystery to them why everybody is suddenly buying the same colour."

That's gonna screw up their stocking rate if they've got it on automatic replenishment setting  :) two weeks time and a whole pallet will turn up at their address  ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 08:05:14 AM »
Extending the experience of longevity for carnuaba wax in this product, something like this also looks attractive for chrome finished parts of these bikes
 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mothers-Brazilian-Carnauba-Cleaner-California/dp/B0002U1TVW/ref=asc_df_B0002U1TVW/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309775958298&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15506001129147191001&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045909&hvtargid=pla-421986683506&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

With many chrome surface finishes being slightly porous (seen in spotty corrosion propagating marks) the wax would appear to be have good potential here too.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 08:09:07 AM »
There's going to be a run on Mothers 05500 now. I think I will buy a pallet of some product and put on here that its fantastic and watch the cash roll in.  ;D ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 09:45:41 AM »
Brilliant post this Ian .passing/sharing  on hints/advice tips and tricks is what these forums are all about..IMHO . .
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 10:08:47 AM »
When I saw Mother's Brazilian I thought we were going somewhere else! 😂
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »
When I saw Mother's Brazilian I thought we were going somewhere else! 😂

She told you to stop looking at those sites!

Ian

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 11:11:43 AM »
Yep, a steamy night out down the old Rub-n-Buff with some crucial Brazilian wax going down, brings a whole different focus to it  ;D

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 04:10:06 PM »
Very intrigued to see the results from this rubbing and buffing. My only concern is how durable the finish is going to be - only way to tell is to try it. Let us know the collective feedback as you all progressively rub and buff...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 01:28:53 AM »
Arrived Friday .... that was quick delivery ! Interestingly ...  it was shipped as  contents 'nail varnish'. Will report back when I have 'had a go' on my CD175A sloper carb.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:36:37 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 07:51:08 AM »
I understand James' concern about the durability of the finish but friend Leslie has been using this for some time now and I have seen his BM regularly but never thought to ask why it looked so good as all of his bikes are pristine.
I'm getting close to finishing this spare set of carbs and will post a pic when they are done but very impressed so far.
When these bikes were new, the carbs had no protective coating at all - how long did that last if left out in the elements?
Being cast, the grain boundaries in the metal allow the ingress of moisture into the first layers of molecules allowing the oxides to form.  Hopefully (!) the very thin layer of carnauba wax should form a barrier to this oxidation and the silver tint is really perhaps just 'bullshit in a tube'

I'm sure Ash - with his background will have thoughts on this.  I'm too old now to do a head to head test with a new carb untreated, one with carnauba wax applied with a toothbrush and one with Rub N Buff, all left out in the Orkney salt spray cabinet!

Ian

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2021, 10:02:40 AM »
Arrived Friday .... that was quick delivery ! Interestingly ...  it was shipped as  cnents 'nail varnish'. Will report back when I have 'had a go' on my CD175A sloper carb.

Seems most like lipstick in product match,  but with addition of turpentine. 

A bit of "lippy" for your carbs sir  ;D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2021, 12:03:21 PM »
Very intrigued to see the results from this rubbing and buffing. My only concern is how durable the finish is going to be - only way to tell is to try it. Let us know the collective feedback as you all progressively rub and buff...

Sadly, I don't think anything will restore that lovely iridescent finish you had on Keihin carbs originally James.   

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »
ok so i too ordered some, and it arrived today. I had a little play and experimented on a few items. This is now my new favorite product! First i tried it on an old carb body, used a tiny amount and rubbed it in. For the awkward corners i used an old paintbrush and it covered well and looks good, maybe even a bit too blingy but does what it says on the tin (tube!) also tried on some alloy parts, a caliper and bracket and a engine cover, again decent result even though i did not prepare the surface first. I then had another idea, on my kickstart and my brake lever there were some rusty marks where they rubbed together so i used the rub and buff, and found that it disguised the marks very well, and if you keep buffing it does shine the metal too. So i thought i will try a really rusty item, and found a chrome chain guard which is very rusty. I gave it a quick rub with wire wool first then with rub and buff. Obviously will not get rid of rust but did improve a lot. I think i may order some more colours and try on other things, all in all i recommend the product.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2021, 04:05:00 PM »
more pics

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2021, 04:12:02 PM »
more, last pic shows a rear light base, the rh half has been treated and you can see it covers the small line of rust in the corner.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal