Author Topic: TWISTING FORKS, IS THIS ANORMAL THING ON THE 400/4?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
TWISTING FORKS, IS THIS ANORMAL THING ON THE 400/4?
« on: March 27, 2021, 11:36:26 AM »
Morning all,

I've not done one of these 400/4's before and undertaking a full build up and a bit of a swap of this and that when I pop it back together, I have a question regarding the  forks as I've not worked on these sorts of brakes before.
With all the front end assembly all built up after cleaning, stripping, drilling, (just finished the disc, easier than I thought!) and ultimately swearing, I notice that the fork leg with the calliper holder on actually rotates about 15 degrees when you twist it slightly. I presume this is the slack being taken up by the adjustable screw that dictates the setting of the fixed pad against the disc?

Is this right or have I missed something out of the build?
There's no front mudguard on the forks and I don't think I'm going to fit one but will this mean I will need some sort of fork brace to stop this twist or can this be dialled out via the adjuster screw once all together?

I'm no way 'green' at this sort of thing after building bikes for years on and off but just simply not too sure, can anybody reassure, help, suggest a fix or simply take the piss for being sausage fingers and forgetting something?
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: TWISTING FORKS, IS THIS ANORMAL THING ON THE 400/4?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 11:45:06 AM »
Forks flexing was normal back in the day to a degree.

Front mudguards were effectively a brace, being of decent gauge steel, and in the 80's when everyone started fitting fibreglass aftermarket mudguards when the originals rotted out, fork braces became common.

But..there is nothing to stop the fork lower rotating 360' other than the wheel/spindle etc. so if your rotation is with a disc in the caliper and pads etc. then there shouldn't be massive amounts of space there. Does the brake work? Or have you not got to that stage yet? Is the front wheel in, spindle done up etc.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:46:40 AM by SumpMagnet »
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 11:53:22 AM »
Nothing is rigged up yet, Im just on with the dry build after getting the frame fettled and making sure all my little bags are empty from disassembly. Im meticulous on strip down but fully aware these little 'fingies' get lost or put to one side to replace and don't ever make it back in the bags. I just wasn't sure if there was meant to be this sort of twist. Its not much but what with this sort of brake set up I didn't know if it was normal.

Pretty sure she's back together in the right order as I've trawled the specs and the fiche's but there's always room for error in-between that last cup of tea and this one.
In my defence, I did get side-tracked building the rear wheel last night, which took me ages! Hadn't done a spoked rim before, bit of a head twister!

Its probably prudent to get the lines ordered and fitted and have a test but you know when it just doesn't look like it should be like that, it sets your mind off on a question fest! ::)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »
I only ever had one bike ( A Moto Guzzi ) that had fork lowers keyed onto the stantion. Every set of Japanese forks I have taken apart has just had a damper bolt up the centre, and the fork lowers were free to rotate. As you clamp up the wheel spindle and spacers, the mudguard and the yoke pinchbolts, it should all settle into place.

But yeah....if when everything is bolted up properly things still don't feel right....then it really is time for concern.

But it looks like a nice little project you got going there. I personally am not a fan of drilled discs....but when I saw the bike in the background, I can see why you did it. Does fit with the style of machine you are putting together.  My 750 build is stalled on a front end issue...but that's aftermarket head bearings that simple do not fit!
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 12:07:50 PM »
Presumably brake arm and it's pivot are free to move,  that's what makes the caliper action independent of the fork rotation. Spindle needs to be clamped fully with the clamps fitted in correct alignment too. They are usually arrowed for direction.

Fork bracing is a myth in my view,  the "brace" on a mudguard doesn't remotely have a load line that can help.  It's just to competently hold the mudguard and prevent that from getting near the tire.

They where obsessive about bracing in that period, and completely illogical in making aftermarket rubbish to sell.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 12:14:56 PM »
I'll have a revisit and try to throw some grey cells at it and come back on here to get a sense check. I was given the bike by a pal at which point  the  Mrs bagged  it as as shews only got a small inside leg, it fits her perfectly with her feet on the ground. She saw the enclosed and wants a slightly revised version of this fine looking Honda (although a 550 I think.)

Its been a great build so far with plenty of head scratching and trying out new techniques, I have vats of stuff electroplating gurgling away behind me and all sorts of this n that being fiddled with to get the result she wants bless her.
I saw this bike on Pinterest and thought it was a great look and saves me a heap of cash replacing and fixing all the bits that were knackered on the original bike. I'm a bit of a standard trim bloke (with a pipe!) but this has been great to do as its a bit of a blank canvass.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »
Presumably brake arm and it's pivot are free to move,  that's what makes the caliper action independent of the fork rotation. Spindle needs to be clamped fully with the clamps fitted in correct alignment too. They are usually arrowed for direction.

Fork bracing is a myth in my view,  the "brace" on a mudguard doesn't remotely have a load line that can help.  It's just to competently hold the mudguard and prevent that from getting near the tire.

They where obsessive about bracing in that period, and completely illogical in making aftermarket rubbish to sell.

I'm kind of with you on the brace thing and they look ugly, I had a micron one on the LC years ago, couldn't tell the difference on or off TBH, and it wasn't ridden slow by any stretch of the imagination ;D

Yes all the pivots are beautifully free moving and all works as it should as far as I can see but just thought I ask the question...like you do when you're caught out, LOL

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 07:16:02 PM »
Right,

sussed it!
Old silly bollox here had not only put the threaded spacer back in the wrong way round but hadn't threaded it onto the spindle either!  That's what burning the midnight hours does after a stupid o'clock start! All back together and sweet as a nut and running true. Thanks for the pointers chaps, much appreciated, I'll go get me coat! ;D

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 12:31:26 PM »
"I'm kind of with you on the brace thing and they look ugly, I had a micron one on the LC years ago, couldn't tell the difference on or off TBH, and it wasn't ridden slow by any stretch of the imagination ;D"

It was an odd period of "marketing" triumph over reality I feel, taking no notice of the dynamic in play from structure and geometry.

If stanchions aren't strong enough to resist the forces of the bike,  they'll move anyway braced or not. A single disc is looked at as imbalanced too when it only puts the forces into the hub in it's entirety,  which is acting on the tire patch, which is aligned centrally with headstock axis. That's just how the geometry works to stay stable.

The above you can see if you use a single sided fork (mtb "leftie" and various scooters ) where they run exactly the same as two legs with absolutely no structure on the other side at all.
I use a mtb leftie, with the amount of people that point out to me that it can't be safe and they wouldn't trust it surprising me. When I suggest that they think it's normal to drive a car, all of which have their wheels supported on one side, it usually still has them muttering in their own convictions.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal