Author Topic: Fused fuses ?!  (Read 573 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Fused fuses ?!
« on: March 29, 2021, 07:15:24 PM »
 Bike wouldn't start and noticed main fuse blown, no biggy so went to couple of places looking for spares BUT can't find the same ones. The old main fuse says on it " 8amp continuous 15amp blow"  is a standard plain 15amp fuse ok? In my small electrickery world as long as it blows at 15amps is there a problem or is it just that I've been lucky and it's an old fuse that's finally given up the ghost?

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Fused fuses ?!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
I had this happen on a couple of occasions, and after fuse was replaced, all was well for a few months, then it happened again. A knowledgeable friend told me to examine the blown fuse, if the element has broken in the centre then it's a short circuit, but if the element has parted company with one of the end caps, then it has been struggling to pull current. This was the problem in my case, and I was told to examine the white multi plug located behind the fuse holder board, and lo! when pulling the plug apart all the blade terminals were coated with 40 years worth of green gunge.  30 minutes work with a set of small jewellers files cured it, and then the whole ensemble was wrapped in insulating tape.  DON'T forget to disconnect the battery earth lead before doing this. Be lucky, Michael.

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 08:48:05 PM »
Good advice, and while doing that check the rear side of the fuse box to see if the fuse holders are still securely soldered to their respective wires.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 07:14:23 AM »
Thank you both.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal