SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Zinc Plating Kits (Home)

<< < (2/2)

Orcade-Ian:
Managed to find all of the files and pics and have re-posted the article on my site.

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/Engineering/Zinc%20Plating.htm

James,
Yes, I use de-ionised water - from our local motor factors - Orkney Factors (bit far to come though :)

Ian

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: JamesH on April 06, 2021, 09:11:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: orcadian on April 06, 2021, 07:03:53 PM ---Hi,
I've been using a BZP kit (s) from Gateros for years now with great results. As with any finishing process, good prep is the key to success.  I'm fortunate that I have a variable voltage and current power supply but you can do it with the kit supplied and a car battery.  Only takes about 1 volt and a few milliamps of current to work.
I did an article for Tansha (VJMC) a while back and I had a page on my web site - I'll put it back up when I can. I think Gateros had a copy on their site too.

Ian

--- End quote ---
Ian - out of interest do you use de-ionised water with the kit? If so, mind if I ask where you source it??

--- End quote ---

Not sure why you would need de-ionised water tbh as without plenty of ions in solution the process would not work - maybe the instructions say otherwise to keep out any impurities? Some filtered rain water ought to be good enough especially if you collect it in a  plastic bowl or similar.

Orcade-Ian:
De-ionised water is recommended by Gateros, mainly because many impurities are removed but some ions remain.  Yes, you could certainly use properly collected rainwater. Here in Orkney that is easy ( :)) and I would think it's quite pure - not sure about how contaminated it might be near big conurbations further south though.
For just a few quid for 5 litres from the factors, I'm not sure I could be bothered.  The plating process does work well though with de-ionised.

Ian

AshimotoK0:
Best place for DI water is Eurocarparts but actually cheaper in the shop than online order and collect. 5l or 25 litre options.

AshimotoK0:
[quote Maybe Ash can put his formula back up for prepping nuts/bolts etc
[/quote]

De-zincing stuff here Ken:-

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,12925.msg188251.html#msg188251

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version