Author Topic: Zinc Plating Kits (Home)  (Read 1308 times)

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Zinc Plating Kits (Home)
« on: April 06, 2021, 06:40:32 PM »
I have been reading up on the old posts about Zinc Plating Kits for the home on the sohc Forum. All sorts of stuff on there going back years, but it didn't answer the $64,000 question which I'm sure somebody on here can help with - which is:

What is a the most useful and best value Kit to buy to zinc plate the various nuts, bolts and small brackets that are always needed to finish off a bike project ?

I don't need anything super dooper, just something which gets the job done so the parts look OK when they are finished, they don't take a lifetime's work to prepare or look after later, the kit comes complete with everything I need to start plating (or any accessories which will be needed ARE clearly advised) and they represent good value for money. Additionally, if there is a good Kit available for £150, but by spending another £20 or so I'll get a much better Kit or twice as many raw materials, that advice would also be welcome.

I'm not a Techie and I don't need to know all the Chemical ins and outs of the process....as it will just go right over my old addled brain, but if anyone can advise from their own experience or recommend a Supplier who I should contact, I'd be most obliged.

Thanks in advance, and as my old Foreman who we called the Balloon used to say, 'Don't let me down folks' !
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Zinc Plating Kits (Home)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:03:53 PM »
Hi,
I've been using a BZP kit (s) from Gateros for years now with great results. As with any finishing process, good prep is the key to success.  I'm fortunate that I have a variable voltage and current power supply but you can do it with the kit supplied and a car battery.  Only takes about 1 volt and a few milliamps of current to work.
I did an article for Tansha (VJMC) a while back and I had a page on my web site - I'll put it back up when I can. I think Gateros had a copy on their site too.

Ian

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 08:50:42 PM »
Thats the one I use too Alan
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:11:48 PM »
Hi,
I've been using a BZP kit (s) from Gateros for years now with great results. As with any finishing process, good prep is the key to success.  I'm fortunate that I have a variable voltage and current power supply but you can do it with the kit supplied and a car battery.  Only takes about 1 volt and a few milliamps of current to work.
I did an article for Tansha (VJMC) a while back and I had a page on my web site - I'll put it back up when I can. I think Gateros had a copy on their site too.

Ian
Ian - out of interest do you use de-ionised water with the kit? If so, mind if I ask where you source it??

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
Managed to find all of the files and pics and have re-posted the article on my site.

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/Engineering/Zinc%20Plating.htm

James,
Yes, I use de-ionised water - from our local motor factors - Orkney Factors (bit far to come though :)

Ian

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 09:42:49 PM »
Hi,

Ian
Ian - out of interest do you use de-ionised water with the kit? If so, mind if I ask where you source it??

Not sure why you would need de-ionised water tbh as without plenty of ions in solution the process would not work - maybe the instructions say otherwise to keep out any impurities? Some filtered rain water ought to be good enough especially if you collect it in a  plastic bowl or similar.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 07:47:53 AM »
De-ionised water is recommended by Gateros, mainly because many impurities are removed but some ions remain.  Yes, you could certainly use properly collected rainwater. Here in Orkney that is easy ( :)) and I would think it's quite pure - not sure about how contaminated it might be near big conurbations further south though.
For just a few quid for 5 litres from the factors, I'm not sure I could be bothered.  The plating process does work well though with de-ionised.

Ian

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 09:18:01 AM »
Best place for DI water is Eurocarparts but actually cheaper in the shop than online order and collect. 5l or 25 litre options.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 10:18:37 AM »
[quote Maybe Ash can put his formula back up for prepping nuts/bolts etc
[/quote]

De-zincing stuff here Ken:-

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,12925.msg188251.html#msg188251
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal