Author Topic: Newbie Member  (Read 2208 times)

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Newbie Member
« on: April 08, 2021, 12:36:55 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Newbie member, recently joined a few days after picking up my first project bike (CB350 1971).

Initially I had a read through and had to join, absolute goldmine of information on here.

I decided to buy the bike as a bit of a treat to myself (bit of an impulse buy), as I'm coming to the end of what feels like forever studying.

I got the bike from Summerbud Classic Bikes via eBay, overall really happy with the condition of the bike given its age, and only seeing photos up until i collected it.

At first I wasn't sure what to do with the bike, modify it or restore it, but after seeing it on the day and plenty of arguments with myself over it, I've decided to restore the bike as original as possible.

Photo of the bike below showing how it is at the moment. Cannot wait to get started on it.

Definitely welcome any advice along the way.

Cheers
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Member
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 12:50:00 AM »
Hi Ben. I got my CL450 as an eBay project from Summerbud, I’m sure you will enjoy restoring and riding it.

There are plenty of willing members here willing to give expert help and advice, plus Ashimoto is local to you, a couple of others aren’t very far away.

Dave
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 01:01:09 AM »
Hi Dave,

I'll enjoy restoring it, probably be a while before I'm out on it though.

I actually work with Ash, he pointed me to the forum, and towards Honda Cb's :D

Seems like a great community on here.

Thanks

Ben

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »
We will let you off with the two missing cylinders. Welcome

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 08:54:48 AM »
Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your project.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 09:28:48 AM »
Welcome from the south end of the bridge.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:20:05 AM »
We will let you off with the two missing cylinders. Welcome
Bryan, as far as I'm aware this is the SOHC Honda group, any single cam Honda is welcome, it's the yank forum that only allow fours in!
Anyhow, welcome to the madhouse, those 350 twins are nice little bikes, and dare I say quicker to 60 than the four cylinder ones!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 10:54:16 AM »
When I classic raced, the Honda 350 based race bikes  were super quick, and the race programmes were generally rigged so they didn’t do the same races as thoroughbred GP bikes such as Manx Nortons, AJS 7Rs etc, as the outcome could have been embarrassing.  8)
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
I had read somewhere that the twin was slightly faster, couldn’t get my head round that, suppose it must be down to the increased weight?

There was a 4 cylinder for sale at the same time as mine, personally I like the look of the twin.

I imagine it’s a little less complex too.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 11:18:37 AM »
Ha ha ..glad you joined and posted Ben. Let us know what you are short of and you never know other members on here as well as me might have parts to sell/donate. When we looked at the oil in the bottom end, it was still clean and gold looking so ...fingers crossed ...you will be OK with the engine and I am almost 100% certain that the low mileage is correct and most of the chrome is lovely .. I guess I will have to join the queue at work for the bead blaster now ..lol  ;D Trigger on here is your man if you need a rebore to proper Honda specs.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:31:55 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 11:26:25 AM »
Original 'fat cam K0' and later K1 and early K2 skinny cam engines were 36 bhp for 350 model ..(actually 325cc)  and 30 bhp for 250. K3 and onwards were a bit less power with 312 style rockers but the cams tended to be a bit less susceptible  to pitting and wear generally. Regular oil changes are the key but at least on the K series you have replaceable cam bearing end caps ...whereas on the later G5 models the cam runs directly in the head.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 02:55:10 PM »
Hi there,

If I've learn't one lesson here since I began my 400 four project it is NOT "You will need a bigger hammer" it is of course "You will need a bigger budget".

On a serious note a very helpfull bunch of members  with a wide knowledge base of skills / experience spanning not just decades but different generations & marques of bikes & owners.

Cheers Ted
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 03:31:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Hopefully the clean oil is a sign the engine is in good condition, as Ash said, and just seized from standing, won’t know till it’s apart though.

First job is to try free it up, think it will need a long soak with some stuff in the bores.

Won’t be getting properly started for a few weeks so could leave it soaking for a long while

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 03:51:28 PM »
Most common neglected item is the centifugal oilfilter under the circular cover on rh case

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »
Hi Ben,
Welcome to this mad world of tinkering - from yet another native of 'ull, although I was sent away for bad behaviour  :o and now living in Orkney.
Diesel is good stuff for freeing things up if left for a good while but Ash might have some more potent magic liquid to do it in minutes!
Best regards
Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal