Author Topic: 71 cl350 twin valve adjustment problems  (Read 1584 times)

Offline muttblbc

• View Profile
71 cl350 twin valve adjustment problems
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
had a friend bring me his cl350 to work on, the number 2 exhaust rocker arm shaft was stuck and wouldnt turn to adjust the rocker, I pulled the top end apart replaced the shaft put it all back together, now none of the rockers will adjust tight enough to be within spec for the valve clearances. I can get them relatively close but when i tighten the lock nut it loosens up (even though i got a good lock on the rocker arm shaft with a flathead screwdriver and make shure the shaft dosnt rotate.) it also feels like the rocker arms go from being free and moving up and down well to really tight when I lock down the lock nut. I looked at the rocker arm feet that ride on the cam lobes and they dont seem chewed up or worn down, niether does the cam itself. anybody run into this? warped head? my mistake? something else? Ive rebuilt a couple of these engines before and have a fairly decent working knowledge of putting them together but i cant seem to diagnose this

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 71 cl350 twin valve adjustment problems
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:55:53 AM »
Not got any bike specific knowledge I'm afraid, but I'd start by carefully pulling it all down and checking everything and re- assembling. Hd similar issues in the past - never found the cause but that seemed to sort it. One thing that my addled brain suggests is perhaps some crud somewhere like down one of the tapped holes means a bolt holding things down has bottomed out giving things a torqued feel whilst not actually holding 2 vital bits tightly together?
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 71 cl350 twin valve adjustment problems
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »
I have worked on these for years and they are really difficult to get right when you tighten the lock nuts.  Make sure the threads are completely clean and lubricated and make sure that the washers are not too chewed up.  Make sure also that the screwdriver you use fits the slot really well and has a handle which you cam grip very well.  It helps to get them close with the locknut only just loose enought to allow movement and then when you do tighten them up don't over-tighten.  It is extremely fiddly but with patience you will get there.  Also make sure you have the marking lines pointing the right way according to the manual.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal