SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

CB350 1971 Restoration Project

<< < (26/26)

AshimotoK0:
I bought an insulation tester specifically to test out the collection of condensers I have. It's no use just  measuring their capacitance with a low voltage standard multimeter as you also need to measure the leakage at high voltage. I got surprising results .. a lot of 1970's condensers, mainly from CB250/350K's, looked fine but were leaky at the high voltage. The best results I got (including so NOS genuine ones) was a sed condenser from a a 1961 CB92  ;D

The Honda Service testers always had a function to do this but I suspect it was used more for shocking the apprentices by throwing them a charged up condenser to catch, than use on customers bikes.  ;D

I will test your condensers when we meet up again Ben. Beware Daiichi ones not made in Japan, there are some nasty, rubbish Chinese copies on the market.

Trigger:
On a condenser Ash, is it earthed out on the mounting point or can it be tested on the bike with out being screwed to the points plate ?

K2-K6:
Interesting Ash, my understanding is that they can get up to approx 400v pinged back toward them as spark ionisation effect hits the circuit through coils etc.

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Trigger on October 12, 2023, 07:37:52 AM ---On a condenser Ash, is it earthed out on the mounting point or can it be tested on the bike with out being screwed to the points plate ?

--- End quote ---

You should be OK with it screwed to points plate but with the other terminal disconnected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version