Author Topic: CB350 1971 Restoration Project  (Read 13243 times)

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
CB350 1971 Restoration Project
« on: April 11, 2021, 12:13:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

As promised I’ve created a post to follow the process of my first restoration project, perfect timing for the new singles and twins area 😁

Any pointers along the way would be massively appreciated.

I will try to keep this as up to date as possible and post pictures when progress is being made.

Anyway, to start with the bike had a seized engine, but looked to have been dry stored based on the condition of the chrome, the mileage is also fairly low at 8500miles.

After checking the oil it was a bit low but very clean so good signs all round.

I removed the spark plugs the other night, one was finger tight and the other was a bit stuck, and took some work to get it out, threads all seem okay though. One was a NGK and the other was a champion (I think, the ceramic part broke), maybe the bike was parked up due to no spark or something, who knows.

So next thing was to free up the engine, I used a 50/50 mix of acetone and some left over DSG transmission fluid from my car service, (apparently DSG is thinner than ATF), gave it a mix and put some in the bores.

Left it sat for 10 mins and rocked the bike back and forth in 5th gear gently and it broke free. Will still be stripping the engine in the future but good to know it can’t have been seized that badly. Hopefully the bores can be cleaned up.

One thing I have a question about is the headlight, is it legal for use in the UK with the bike being an import form the states, different beam patterns etc?

Cheers

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB350 1971 Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 03:56:07 PM »
The headlight may have a beam pattern for driving on the RHS of the road. Any kick up of the beam to the right will blind oncoming traffic. You'll probably have to change the glass for a UK unit.
You could mask the beam pattern to block the right hand kick up but not sure if that's still permitted. 🤔
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 04:13:50 PM »
Great progress Ben .. hang fire on buying a new headlamp unit until I been to my stash of parts at DodgyRogers, as I possibly may have a proper Stanley  spare UK-style  one there for you. The USA unit is sealed beam but the Euro ones had a replaceable piddly 35watt bulb and a separate side-lamp.

Pretty sure I will have the parts to repair your handlebar switches if you send me some piccies. Probably  in at work all day next Friday.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 07:36:12 PM »
Thanks for the info on the light pattern Gareth, confirmed what I was thinking.

Cheers Ash, let me know, in no massive rush, but if you have one that would be great.
I wont be in work next week, got some time off, unfortunately it'll be spent finishing my uni work off and not on the bike. may be able to find some time for a bit of tinkering though  ::)

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 09:26:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

Some progress has been made on the bike, although it has been slow.

I’ve been gathering some parts spending hours scrolling through eBay, ;D (thanks to Ash who has helped me out with some bits).

What paint has everyone used in the past for things like the battery box, tool box, rear light bracket, chain guard, etc to get an original look? Gloss, satin or matte?

Suggestions or brands and techniques used would be great.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 09:54:53 PM »
Good news that you are finding the bits you need Ben.
Generally I get parts like that blasted and powder coated in gloss black. Some things like the top yoke and handlebar clamps are satin  black. If you visit the powder coater with the parts prior to stripping the paint off, they should be able to provide a good match.
I use Microblast in Windsor, they advertise in Classic Bike and are very, very good.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »

Ben was lucky enough to secure a pair of K3 side panels with the unique badges/emblems still on them  (smaller than the K4 ones and extremely rare). They look a bit sun faded on the orange 'jeweley' bit though (like the orange resin on the CB500/4  and later 750 side panel  badges). I suggested we try refurbing with some 2-pack ultra clear resin I got from China, tinted with orange epoxy pigment. Has anyone tried this? It may be that the the badges are just really dirty and may clean up though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:12:16 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 11:09:55 PM »
 Cheers Dave, yeah some of the bits are tricky to find, but to be expected, thanks for the advice. Luckily I have access to a blaster at work so I can do a lot of the prep work, saving costs and all that   :)

Thanks Ash, will take a look into the paint, I actually got some more images from the seller tonight, I’m sure it’s a build up dirt and dust, will ask my brother to give them a wipe when to get to him, pictures below if I’ve done it right  ;D

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 11:53:48 PM »
Re the headlamp, both my ‘General Export Market’ (from South Africa)  CB750 K1 and my CL450 had Stanley symmetrical headlamps to work in both rhd and lhd markets. All the panels in the glass go straight up and down. I’m guessing they did it with the CL450 because it was sold in the USA and Australia, different sides of the road. While the dip wasn’t to one side, there was horizontal adjustment via a screw in the rim.

The Stanley headlamp on my Z1A, on the other hand was handed for the US market, I’ve replaced it with a UK spec Lucas halogen for my safety but kept the original.

So it is worth checking to see which side the ‘wedge’ for dip is on, and compare it to one on a UK spec  bike, or a RHD car.

I agree with Ash about powder coating, I got good results on my CL450 with a Simonize gloss black rattle can, although my Z1A frame etc had already been media blasted then professionally sprayed gloss black and looks brand new.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:06:58 AM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 12:04:35 AM »
Ben and I also discovered today that 'Light Ruby Red' which looks like a solid colour is actually a white basecoat with candy red on top followed by clear coat.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 09:25:07 PM »
Thanks guys for the response Re the headlight and paint, will probably get some this week, may give both a try and compare them.

Had a bit of time today and started stripping out some of the parts for blasting.

I’ve got the exhausts off and I’m having a bit of trouble separating the header tubes from the silencers. The silencers are unfortunately rotten and completely beyond repair but the headers are in good condition and should clean up well. Wondering what the best way to attack it is without damaging the header tubes?

While I’m on the subject of chrome bits, what’s the best way to clean up and polish, I have used some autosol on the handle bars with good results, but always like to try new products and methods.

Thanks again everyone, picture below of the bike after tinkering today.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 10:04:47 PM »
Ben's my work colleague (there are queues now for bead blaster now as another young chap where we work  has bought a Motobecane moped).

You need to  completely unscrew  the exhaust clamps as they have a folded over part, which goes over a ring, which is welded to the down-pipe. From memory the bolts don't completely unscrew because the end is peened over. There is an insulating bush/sleeve between the pipe and the silencer and it can bond to the pipe/silencer with age and a bit hard to remove. I don't think the David Silver (made by Brituro) pattern silencers use the insulating sleeve though. The CB250/350K exhausts as spare parts were always sold as a complete unit and never as a separate down-pipe and silencer. The rare 1968/early '69 bikes had a 'one piece' welded together silencer  and down-pipe with no model stampings . Your K3 woud have had HM317's. It's taken me nigh on 10 years to get my hands on a decent set of 'one-piece' pipes.

You are on the right lines with Solvol to clean up the chrome. Best to fetch your downpipes  and other chrome to work for me to assess.

Took the liberty of rotating and cropping your pic. So nice to have young blood getting into classic Honda's  :)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:09:23 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 10:27:17 PM »
One of them looks like it has been bodged a bit, but the silencer is loose, the one which hasn’t been bodged is well stuck, I’m on the right track because I removed the bracket and could see where it was folded over but could not get it to break free, will have another go at it one night this week.

I have the rear mudguard in my car so you can have a look at that tomorrow, along with some other bits, got the carbs off as well. (Something else which is stuck  ::) )

Really enjoyed working on the bike so far, they are really well thought out in terms of being easy to disassemble.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 10:40:32 PM »
Good work Ben. Hope you are enjoying the strip down. The rebuild is the best part of a restoration, everything is clean and like new!
A tip I was given by a chromer when he was unable to re-chrome the Z400J Kawasaki parts was to rub them down using fine grade wire wool soaked in plenty of WD40. Wipe clean with a rag and then use Solvol. Once that is polished off go over the parts again with wax car polish, when dry rub with a clean cloth to polish. It really does work and saved me a fortune on re-chroming parts that were salvageable 👍.
Keep posting progress reports, it's a good read🍺
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal