Author Topic: CB350 1971 Restoration Project  (Read 13245 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: CB350 1971 Restoration Project
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 10:43:34 PM »
Our posts crossed Nigel. Got to say your recommendation is a lot less elbow intensive 😊
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 10:46:47 PM »
Pour boiling water down the carb slides to free them off .. they will be gummed up with old fuel that's turned to a varnish like substance.  Be careful with the rubber diaphragms though .. 'kin expensive to replace !
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 11:03:40 PM »
Some of the parts aren't that bad, just some bits which are stained and a bit dirty from years of being sat, at least I’ve got a few methods to try, thanks again, always nice to get fast responses.

I will try the boiling water, is it worth trying to remove the diaphragms first? Probably could do to check them for damage.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 11:04:49 PM »
Pour boiling water down the carb slides to free them off .. they will be gummed up with old fuel that's turned to a varnish like substance.  Be careful with the rubber diaphragms though .. 'kin expensive to replace !

An addition to above, using a domestic steamer (wallpaper etc) as some have a straight nozzle to clean ovens, are pretty effective on any oil fuel based gumming etc. Obviously heat capped at 100 degrees, they are safe and effective on most materials. 

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 11:10:54 PM »
Ben and I also discovered today that 'Light Ruby Red' which looks like a solid colour is actually a white basecoat with candy red on top followed by clear coat.

(Attachment Link)

Whoever wrote this... it is incorrect.
Candy jade green for starters is bluemetallic with a candy yellow coat
Candy bacchus olive bluemetallic-orange
Or goldmetallic with bluecandy

Light ruby red is not a candy.
It is common to always paint a light layer like white or (what Honda also did) orange ground befor aplying red.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 09:01:21 AM »
Ben and I also discovered today that 'Light Ruby Red' which looks like a solid colour is actually a white basecoat with candy red on top followed by clear coat.

(Attachment Link)

It is common to always paint a light layer like white or (what Honda also did) orange ground befor aplying red.

It was American Honda Menno. Pretty comprehensive list and the first time I have ever seen the correct metallic dark grey ( Black metallic -XE) for the CD175A sloper ... Lave Grey Metallic (not to be confused with Audi Lave Grey ). But you are 'the man'..so I bow to your knowledge.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxoaq47jpzf21yi/Paint%20Honda.pdf?dl=0
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:45:10 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 10:09:19 AM »
I always used to use Brillo pads with a dash of Solvol on them, works great on alloy as well.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 11:49:23 AM »
Thank you for that information, Ashley.
Very interesting read. Thanks again.

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 10:23:44 PM »
Hi again everyone,

Tonight I decided to take a look inside the carbs which I removed the other day.

Based on the chrome and the rest of the bike being fairly clean I thought they wouldn't be too bad.  ::)

I've attached some images below, one of them looks okay and the other is pretty bad. Funnily enough the slide came out of the worse looking one, with some help from Ash.

Still got the other to get out, its been soaking in boiling water but so far no luck. Will have to keep trying.

Re the paint and chrome, solvol gave me some really good results on the rear mudguard with 0000 grade wire wool, Had a try with some multona black paint on various parts and really happy with the finish and look.

Offline mtrhead

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2021, 05:43:39 PM »
Wow, that chrome has come up nicely. That inspires me to crack on and do some fettling on mine whilst I wait for Mr Silver's delivery

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 06:37:11 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised myself how well they cleaned up, took a bit of time but we’ll worth it, maybe a bit of room to improve them some more.

I just need to protect the underside of them now to stop them rusting from the inside out.

Pictures below before the elbow grease.  :D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2021, 03:03:39 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Candy jade green for starters is bluemetallic with a candy yellow coat
Candy bacchus olive bluemetallic-orange
Or goldmetallic with bluecandy

Menno.. we studied Ben's tank closely today and sure looks like a candy coat on top of the white base, as described in the Honda Bulletin I posted.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2021, 09:32:22 PM »
If you would paint a candy red over white you would have to add so many layers to cover the white that the colour would become very dark.
But even still.... it is called light ruby red. Not light candy ruby red.

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2021, 12:14:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

Bit of a progress update on the CB350.
Been busy the last few weeks doing bits here and there, mainly painting things black and working on the carbs.

Finally, the carbs are at a point where all I need is a new seal kit, after going through each part and removing the varnished fuel, maybe one last clean before fitting to the bike, whenever that may be.

All the electrics have been removed from the bike, a few dodgy wires which will need some attention, but hope to test the loom at some point in the near future.

The engine is finally out of the bike, and ready to start stripping down, hopefully this Saturday, I did have a quick look under the cam cover, visually it looks really clean. Pic below. But I’m really keen to see what condition the bores and rings are in.

As always if anyone has any tips or tricks to add it is really appreciated.

Thanks everyone, hopefully will be posting some more stuff on Saturday for the engine strip down.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2021, 01:16:12 AM »
Interesting project & pictures.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal