Author Topic: CB350 1971 Restoration Project  (Read 13250 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: CB350 1971 Restoration Project
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2022, 09:15:40 PM »
Good progress Ben. That bearing is the worst I have ever seen! The
guy who owned the engineering shop I used to use for rebores (now defunct) was working on a cam bearing shell conversion just before he closed down. He was having trouble getting the clearance correct and staying in place  and not spinning when the engine got hot. Hopefully someone will be able to advise of the clearance you need.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2022, 09:29:19 PM »
My CB250K had phosphor bronze bushes put in as a modification.  I replaced them in 1985 with standard ones as they had worn out.  I don't know how long they had been in there as they had been done by the previous owner but they looked like a good bit of work.  I still have them somewhere, will try to dig them out.

If you find them some pics would be great, just to see roughly how they look, I plan on putting some miles on the bike and as I said I was lucky enough to to get a NOS cam shaft so I want to make it last.

Good progress Ben. That bearing is the worst I have ever seen! The
guy who owned the engineering shop I used to use for rebores (now defunct) was working on a cam bearing shell conversion just before he closed down. He was having trouble getting the clearance correct and staying in place  and not spinning when the engine got hot. Hopefully someone will be able to advise of the clearance you need.

Yeah it’s quite rough, when I got the bike there was a screw missing from the side cover, which caused an oil leak, so guessing it’s been run low for some time, only 8000 miles on it though, on the other hand the leaking oil kept the frame from rusting.
I’ve got an idea on how to get it to stay in place, it would be a case of making the bush thick enough that when pushed into the housing I can make a drilling on the join line and insert a dowel then finish bore it to size, and for improved lubrication i can cut a spiral into the bush to get the oil flowing better, or even a couple radial grooves might help. Clearances are important to get right, I know a lot about clearances for water hydraulic bearings but not oil unfortunately

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2022, 08:54:35 AM »
Hi everyone,

Been a while since I’ve put some progress photos up, had a fairly busy summer so far so probably not as far along as I’d like to be.

Engine is now back in the frame, got a few little bits to sort out before it’s complete, currently working my way through the wiring loom quite a long job since I’m mechanically biased, but getting there.

I’m really happy with the way the bike is looking so far.

Question: the bike is imported so will need a dating certificate and registering etc has anyone done this before the bike is fully completed and did it cause any problems, I’m keen to get it done so as soon as it’s ready I can get insured and out on the road

Thanks

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2022, 10:26:03 AM »
Coming along nicely you must be well chuffed.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2022, 04:03:20 PM »
As long as you have the Nova paperwork and a dating leter from VJMC(Honda wont do imorts any more) there is a possibility dvla might want to view the bike but they dont do all and you cant predict till you apply so i would get close to finish and apply. HINT keep quality copies of all paperwork you send in

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2023, 10:20:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

It has been far too long since I’ve posted an update on here, but I have been working away when i get chance.

The bike is really coming along nicely, and although I would have liked to have it done by now I’ve still got some work to do. I’ve attached some current progress pics 😁.

In the background I have been looking at paint options and after loads of research and suppliers messing me about I have finally made a decision, which is candy red over white base as stated in the Honda bulletin in this thread a while back.

I had a go with the paint on some spray out cards over the weekend and compared it to a NOS fork ear which I bought a while back. See pic below.

I’m over the moon with the match and in the light the candy red over white gives a depth to he paint which makes it pop, shame it can’t really be picked up on camera.

All the parts have now been primed with epoxy primer and waiting to be painted in the next few weeks, just need to clear some space in the shed. 🙄

Offline Toko_Jo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2023, 11:40:24 PM »
Great progress Ben and glad you didn't listen to any of the BS spouted on FB and internet forums etc that that '71 red was a 'solid red colour'. Even RS Bikepaints spout the same BS and try to sell you a solid red. Its plainly obvious to anyone who really knows their 250/350 Ks that Honda used a white basecoat ( same shade as the white on the K0/K1 tanks) and top coat of Honda Candy Ruby Red ( same candy coat  as CB750K0)on top. That paint will look absolutely stunning once it's clearcoated.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2023, 07:00:42 AM »
Nice work there Ben. Cant wait to see the finished bike!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2023, 07:37:42 AM »
Read your whole project post again - very interesting rebuild - my heart sank when I saw the camshaft bearing worn oval.

How did you fix that in the end ?

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2023, 07:47:28 AM »
Read your whole project post again - very interesting rebuild - my heart sank when I saw the camshaft bearing worn oval.

Yeah the camshaft bearing was really bad, considering the condition of the rest of the engine I wouldn’t have expected that, in the end I managed to get hold of a NOS cam bearing, failing that i was going to bore it out and machine a bush. I think it could be done fairly easily, unfortunately I don’t have access to a lathe anymore since I’ve moved jobs, I would like my own lathe at some point and I’ve kept the old bearing so might get chance to have a go in the future, just to see how feasible it is.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2023, 08:15:59 AM »
Great work Ben. Do you think you will have the bike on the road before the end of summer as the end goal 🙂
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2023, 08:31:56 AM »

Yeah the camshaft bearing was really bad, considering the condition of the rest of the engine I wouldn’t have expected that, in the end I managed to get hold of a NOS cam bearing, failing that i was going to bore it out and machine a bush. I think it could be done fairly easily, unfortunately I don’t have access to a lathe anymore since I’ve moved jobs, I would like my own lathe at some point and I’ve kept the old bearing so might get chance to have a go in the future, just to see how feasible it is.

So is the bearing separate from the cam cover - lucky to find a NOS part.

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2023, 08:46:44 AM »
Great work Ben. Do you think you will have the bike on the road before the end of summer as the end goal 🙂

That’s the plan, still need to do my test and get it registered though 😂

Offline BenPowell

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2023, 08:49:29 AM »

So is the bearing separate from the cam cover - lucky to find a NOS part.

No, its one part, the camshaft sits directly in the housing, so I would have to over bore it, then use use some material to make a sleeve to reproduce the original bore size, would need to be suitably locked in place, but should be fine to do.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2023, 09:42:42 AM »
So it's separate from the cylinder head not  unlike a cam cover.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal