Author Topic: Weeping brakes  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Weeping brakes
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 05:13:28 PM »
Use a proper brake pipe nut spanner(full six sided hex with a slot to clear pipe) and tighten the nut more, you need to "bed" the flares together

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 06:40:17 PM »
Thanks again,
Brian - I hadn't come across a brake line spanner before so had a google and one on order now - hopefully that'll allow proper tightening of the fixings.

Cheers,
Andy

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »
Bryan,
Flare spanner did the job - thanks for recommending that as I wasn't familiar with these.
Tightened the bleed nipple a bit more and that stopped the leak there as well so looks good to go now.
And always good to have another shiny tool in the drawer!
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »
Andy, just remember in years to come that you need to warm the caliper with a plumbers type torch before trying to undo the bleed nipple

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
Thanks Bryan, will do.

Also I've got another old caliper with a damaged bleed nipple I'm looking to sort.
The nipple has been broken at the top but has a reasonable bit still sticking out to get hold of.
It's been soaking in penetrating oil for a while and I wondered whether sticking the caliper in the oven for a while would help to free the nipple before trying to loosen it - what do you think?

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 02:27:02 PM »
Use a blowtorch or buy a repair kit from me, drill and tap 1/8 npt screw in the kit adaptor and use the bleed nipple into the adaptor. Look up NAPA bleeder repair kit

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal