Author Topic: This rider is lucky to be alive thanks to air bag riding suit.  (Read 493 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Never heard of this device , the crash is horrific, sentence seems light given the riders  injuries.

https://news.sky.com/story/dashcam-footage-captures-motorcyclist-catapulted-through-air-after-horror-collision-11905785
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 12:16:03 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: This rider is lucky to be allive thanks to air bag riding suit.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 12:37:29 PM »
Drivers name... Florian Pratt .....

and he was.

Airbag jackets have been around for a while,. and are standard issue for Moto GP riders these days. When I first looked at them, there was just no way I could afford one. Paying over 1K for a jacket with what was then a fairly unproved piece of kit.

Now they can be had for £300-£400, which makes them really quite affordable.

You can get vests that go under your existing gear...or jackets with them incorporated. Systems were either mechanically triggered ( with a cord you clip on) or else by accelerometers. Takes about 30kg of pull on a cord to trigger the mechanical systems, so you won;t do it by accident if you forget to unclip.

The rider in that video was lucky....the impact threw him over the car. These airbags are designed to cushion impacts with the road. Hitting a solid object ( like an oncoming car) full on, nothing is going to soak up the kinetic energy from the impact to save the fleshy bits. But, surviving a crash is all about improving the odds, and I am in favour of anything that does that!

MCN did a little article on them that is fairly good.... including listing a few and telling you the cost of re-gassing the system if you trigger it.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-tech/motorbike-airbag-vests/
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 01:56:12 PM »
What a horrific incident, the rider was very lucking to survive and what a feeble court sentence.

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 07:58:27 AM »
That ain’t funny. A very similar incident happened to me in 2002 returning from Market Rasen to York. A guy on a 600 Yahama ran wide on a sharp corner and hit me head on. It was like being hit by a missile; the car stopped in its tracks, I was only doing about 30 approaching a RH tight bend. The bike front end wound up in the passenger seat where my young son had been sat 5mims earlier. I spent 5 nights in Pontefract Hospital. He was lucky to survive with concussion and badly Broken leg. Both car and bike were write offs.

Be careful out there.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal