Author Topic: Any appetite for fighting the DVLA?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Any appetite for fighting the DVLA?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 04:53:15 PM »
My objection to VED on fuel is we would lose out as most of our real bikes are currently exempt, so putting it on fuel would be detrimental to most of us on here!

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2021, 08:26:10 PM »

No good sticking it on fuel as not all fuel is used only in vehicles unless the tax is removed at the point of sale as can be done when buying LPG for cooking/heating. Also as more and more EVs hit the road fuel sales will reduce greatly and the Gov need their pound of flesh from somewhere.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 12:12:24 PM »
Not sure I want to pay fuel gathered road tax to mow the lawn, or cut some bricks with my Stihl saw, or use a speedboat, or leaf blower etc etc.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 01:32:13 PM »
The original intention of my post was to see if there might be any support for 'having a go' at the DVLA and the two gripes were:
Their inability to use a daily calculator for VED (even more simple now we don't get a disc) and double charging VED at ownership change.
I never mentioned putting the duty on fuel for the reason I outlined earlier but would certainly add charging foreign vehicles to use our roads, just as some countries do with us.

We'll see what we can come up with and let the masses decide if they want change.
Ian

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 04:28:04 PM »
To get to 100k signatures needs a planned approach, so firstly what do you want a debate  in Parliament about and who will then chip in ( ie our MPs). And aim for far mote than 100k.

Then, social media campaign or awareness...  Is a start point to set up petition then all of us share with all/ any vehicle clubs/ village websites we are in to try to raise interest and get petition numbers up? Then something broader eg approach all vehicle magazines to support it too...car and bike. Maybe some human interest, stories eg 'in lockdownnInlost my job and sorted or tried to reg tax back and was ripped off by the DVLA etc..and I only have one kidney et al. The Mail might like that angle.

Before we know it our most photogenic supporters (any offers?) are on the evening news talking about it..and how those funds are being used to decorate Downing Street.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »
It should be streamlined to the point it doesn't exist.

All the negative arguments over the years of putting road duty onto fuel have disappeared with systems they have in place now.

What's the point of making an offence for the sake of it? Simplifying it to combine with collection through fuel purchase avoids millions in unwanted administrative activity. 

You can't use a vehicle without fuel, by default they would all pay, while being used, in proportion to their status.

A big driver for VED is to keep ownership records as up to date as possible and ensure vehicles are MoT'd & Insured.

I spend about £2k a year mainly on Diesel  so despite paying £800 ish a year on VED on 3 vehicles (all old so high emissions) we still pay a lot of Tax on the fuel with VAT & fuel duty. When electric car ownership becomes the mainstream it will be interesting to see how they raise the missing fuel duty revenue from the remaining motorists. I am unlikely to be around when that happens !
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »
Easy, they will increase the vedon electric vehicles, remember calor gas conversions cos duty on gas was low!!!

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 02:17:34 PM »
Pay per mile for electric vehicles (eventually) and a tax on the use of roadside chargers (not domestic ones) IMHO. It's already built in to Jan's electric vehicle, the manufacturer knows when you charge it, the mileage and when it's due for service.

I/C engines will be with us for at least 50 years, as will petrol and diesel. excise duty on both is likely to increase above inflation.

All IMHO and it could of course be bolleaux.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal