Author Topic: Unconnected green wire near fuse block  (Read 1490 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Unconnected green wire near fuse block
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 05:18:58 PM »
Well you did ask the question on the UK site not the US one

Naturally... the UK site is much better!

(Shhh, don't tell the US guys I said so!)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 07:34:44 PM »
All I saw was USA 400 and assumed it was an import as why would a yank be posting on a uk forum when they have their own.

See my previous post...  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 07:37:48 PM »
I'm on both and agree

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 07:52:34 PM »
Your most likely a long lost cousin Matt so I suppose we’ll tolerate you  :)

The main reason I'm here!  Any place that tolerates me is a winner in my book...

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:18 AM »
Happy to be corrected, but 3 pin (ie earthed) flasher relays are electro-mechanical (or ‘thermal’) types, and the 2 pin versions, solid state.
Q - were solid state relays common in the mid 70s; I’d have thought not and that all bikes of that era had the 3 pin flasher relays? Given the latter are very mechanical do-dahs, they do wear out and eventually need replacing... often with modern 2 pin units.

Secondly, why would Honda go to the bother of supplying 2 different relays; there’d have been a $ difference in the two types and surely they’d go the cheaper version?

This all said, I can’t get my head around some 400F differences, eg the near Europe F2s loop footrests, whilst rest-of-the-world retained the swing arm mounted ‘pegs. Also, the RoTW ignition steering lock, whilst Europe retained the unfriendly bottom yolk lock. (both the above represent Frame differences, which I guess, significant)

Other differences - eg tank cap / flap, horn mounting - I get given local safety regs....

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 07:59:01 AM »
You got the flashers the wrong way round, 2 wire is thermal strip and 3 is a more mechanical.
Differences is down mostly to the US vehicle regs similar to our construction and use regs plus insurance compy requirements, learner laws etc

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 08:40:58 AM »
3-Wire types had a capacitor which is formed in the end of the aluminium case and used capacitance discharge principle to provide the timing for the electro-mechanical relay inside the can as well. Every 60's/70's UK Honda bike I own/ have owned, has/had  this type of flasher unit fitted as standard. The USA bikes were fitted with a 'Signal-Stat' type, which is two wire and uses a bi-metallic strip rather than the capacitance discharge principle (like the old Lucas unit used in old British cars, like the Mini). I have seen a few later style 3-wire types, which have a separate, conventional, electrolytic capacitor inside, mounted on a small printed circuit board.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal