Author Topic: Spokes  (Read 363 times)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Spokes
« on: May 13, 2021, 06:01:43 PM »
Hi all,
A question on old wheels spokes hoping someone can help with.
I've got a set of wheels with 'reasonable' chrome on the rims but with fairly rusty spokes.
As the bike they're going on is far from shiny I don't really want to re-spoke the wheels or end up replacing / re-chroming the rims either.
The back wheel has a couple of spokes that sound a bit flat but with a tweak tightened up so I think they can be adjusted as they should be.
On the front wheel there are a couple of bent spokes and some sounding flat so at least a couple will need replacing, the remainder probably look like they can be adjusted OK.
Ideally I'd like to just clean up the rims, replace any damaged spokes and then just clean them as well but I wondered what the view is on keeping old, rusty spokes with just a bit of replacement for damaged ones and tightening of loose ones - is that safe or is there a real risk of the spokes being weakened from age, neglect / rust?
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Spokes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 07:11:22 PM »
Its fine except for the fact that the ones where you see the head on the outside have to be bent like a bannana toremove or fit if the rest of the spokes are fitted

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Spokes
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 07:19:57 PM »
Thanks Bryan,
That would scupper my plan - Sods law says that at least one of the damaged ones will be on that side!
I'll have a closer look in the morning and maybe I'll be lucky.

Cheers,
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal