SOHC.co.uk Forums > The Black Bomber Board

Black Bomber not charging

(1/8) > >>

royhall:
The Black Bomber is running okay in every respect except that it isn't charging. Voltage across the battery stays the same with engine running or not. With the multimeter 10A in series with the battery positive it's showing a negative reading ie. no charging. I disconnected the output from the rectifier and it measure just 2V when the engine revs. Disconnected the regulator and tried again, exactly the same. Can I check the output from the alternator at the harness where it connects to the rectifier as getting to the connections for the alternator itself is almost impossible. If I disconnect rectifier and regulator what reading should I be looking for with the engine running, AC I assume. I'm way out of my comfort zone with this so any help would be appreciated.

Bryanj:
20-60volts ac between any pair of alternator wires is average

royhall:
Thanks Bryan. Is that multimeter between each cable in turn and the battery negative.

MrDavo:
I shall watch this with interest, my CL450 is on its original voltage regulator and rectifier, and I have never seen more than 12V across the battery terminals.

That said Ive not had the lights go yellow, or any sort of misfire caused by low voltage, but recently after a lot of short trips I found the battery was too low to work the starter. That's when I found out that it will start fist kick, something I'd never tried before - I have officially retired from kickstarting, and won't buy a bike without a a starter motor). I gave it a go on the Optimate, its been fine since.

I believe there is an extra coil in the alternator, that is only used when the lights are on, so there may be that to consider.

Bryanj:
No mate as i said between PAIRS of yellow generator wires

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version