SOHC.co.uk Forums > The Black Bomber Board

Black Bomber not charging

<< < (2/8) > >>

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on May 18, 2021, 05:08:06 PM ---No mate as i said between PAIRS of yellow generator wires

--- End quote ---

That's for a 3-phase alternator Bryan with three yellow wires. The Bomber is single phase.
A common trick is to permanently switch on the night charging coil. (IIRC Yellow and white wires commoned)
Not sure on the AC voltages out of the Bomber alternator Roy but I will check. 

Off the top of my head I would think typically around 20 AC volts  at idle over 50 volts  at 5k rpm (night coil switch in) unloaded (i.e. Coils open circuit.

Bryanj:
Still has to be two ends to each winding

royhall:
I think this is my weekends challenge as it's going to be raining anyway. As I say, I am way out of my comfort zone with this so any guidance you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Ash, I don't know how they are different but I'm using a later stator 1968 onwards and also a later rotor. I believe it's actually from a K3, does that make any difference. I think I may have to get to the stator cable ends to carry out these tests. It's in a very tight space between the rear engine mounts and requires the removal of the mounts and the clutch actuator cover, but probably the best way forward or I cannot test the alternator without going through the harness and that's not eliminating the downstream wiring.

It's about time I got to grips with electrics as I have been muddling through for years and getting away with it. I am quite competent at following a wiring diagram, it's when it comes to this sort of thing that I lack knowledge of how things actually work and the correct use of the multimeter. Come September I may enrol myself at the local college's vehicle department for a crash course on auto electrics.

royhall:
Further to the above, I just found this online. Now I am bloody confused.   https://www.hondatwins.net/threads/nos-cb450-k1-alternator-resistance-measurements.7331/   This will probably make a lot of sense to you Ash and may even be useful when you get to building yours. After reading it I'm thinking I may have the stator wires connected incorrectly as I'm more used to the fours where there's three yellow output wires.

Just a thought, are these alternator stators repairable?

There's also a good thread about it here.  https://www.hondatwins.net/threads/cb450-charging-problems.78881/

AshimotoK0:
From Jensen's diagram and other post I made this up attached . VAC is the test multimeter switched to volts AC range.
I would think with a newer model epoxy coated stator and the later rotor you would be fine Roy and that's what I am going to use on mine.

Also if you are using a later model voltage regulator ('crow-bar' clamp .. same function as Zener diode on 60's Triumphs but much better) temporarily disconnect it just in case it is faulty. Of course the K0 never had one ..it relied solely on a good battery to regulate the voltage.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version