Author Topic: Would you use a 10 year old tyre??  (Read 1978 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Re: Would you use a 10 year old tyre??
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 12:19:07 PM »
The same criteria applies to crash helmets. How long would you leave it before replacement of something that protects your head and you only know if it has done it's job when you have an accident?

When I was classic racing at Cadwell Park, my Weslake broke down at Chris Curve, where on the previous lap I'd noticed bits of bike in the middle of the track. I pulled over and sat on a straw bale at the side of the track to wait for the end of the race, and the maniac in a Transit who swept up the casualties. Also sat on the bales was the rider who had crashed earlier. He showed me his brand new Max Biaggi replica Araia, which was completely ruined, and moaned that it had cost him a fortune, and only lasted a couple of laps on the track. Looking at the huge flat ground into the helmet, I pointed out that he'd had full value for money from it, as here he was, fully conscious, if a bit unhappy and bruised, after giving the tarmac what was obviously a serious head butt.

Back in the day, the first thing many owners did when buying a new Japanese bike was to chuck the original tyres and fit British ones, preferably before it rained. Now times and reputations have changed, even my old 911 now has Bridgestone SP0 tyres fitted. My CL450 came with what looked like the original 1969 Japanese tyres, only after I had taken them to the tip did I realise that someone who was into museum pieces, rather than riding, may have given me good money for them.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
The only reason I am using the original NOS tyres Dave is that my CD175A was the UK Press bike and I am  trying to get it as original as possible.. Those Nitto OEM tyres with Nylon in them were sh*te and, as you say were changed, back in the day,ASAP.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 12:50:06 PM »
Some of the rubber fitted as OEM to MZ's from new was lethal and you didn't wait for 10 years to replace it!
The same criteria applies to crash helmets. How long would you leave it before replacement of something that protects your head and you only know if it has done it's job when you have an accident?
I remember Stadium used to recommend replacement of it's Project 7 and Project 9 polycarbonate helmets every two years and fibreglass helmets every five.
I have a Davida jet helmet that I've used no more than half a dozen times in the 15 years I've owned it. It is kept in it's box in a dark cupboard where I understand it should not deteriorate as it is not being attacked by light? I normally replace a fibreglass helmet after 7 years unless its been dropped.

The manufacture will always come out with these figures as, they want to sell more helmets.
When i had the bike rental company in Greece, customers would turn up from the UK with there leathers and full face helmets. I would always give warning that they would cook and boil there heads, before passing out and having a accident  ::) 

I used to sell shoei helmets from our workshop years ago that were half the price of the UK RRP. Was able to do this as we used to buy from france and the only difference was it did not have a BSI sticker on it, bloody expensive sticker  ;)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 03:03:01 PM »
I would always give warning that they would cook and boil there heads, before passing out and having a accident  ::) 

The Mrs and I went to visit Pompeii, on a Triumph Daytona 1000, I stupidly wore a matt black helmet, and soon found out why the Italians didn't. Knackered after a night camped on top of a nest of bitey ants, on the Autostrada going back up to Rome, I nodded off at around 100mph, and woke up in another lane.  :o The shock of that kept me awake to the next services, where I had several espressos!
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 05:36:40 PM »
With Avon sm mk2 tyres I used to search out 10 year old part worms, reason being buy new  and they were out twice as fast, plus it was far more fun in the wet if I could slide the back end a bit, use them on both my solo BMW80rt and my 500/4 sidecar. Enormous fun. My cb550 riding mate liked to take the piss out of the BMW being ugly, til I gave him a lift on it for 10 miles, me giving it a bit of abuse he realised why I kind of liked it, it could lean right over in corners or roundabouts and my cornering technique of dropping 2 gears in to a hairpin and skidding the back end left skidmarks that wern't on the tarmack😂🤣
 Probably not sensible but it was fun and even in snow it gripped better than my cb250 with Pirelli city deamon rears or my ca125 rebel, which both always had new tyres. Only time I came off and did dammage was on that cb250 nighthawk. My gs125 came with original 1982 brigedstone tyres and front drum brake. That wasn't fun, was really glad to fit a newer bikes disk brake front end on that one! The front tyre was the stuff of nightmares too. Still have the wheel and tyre somewhere I think, the bikes one of the few I sold for more than I paid for it.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »
I have had far to many close calls with the 08 rear tyre on my Aprilia Pegaso so I dicided to buy a new one in December.
It arrived a few weeks ago so fitted it last weekend.
Glad I did as it transformed the bike it now goes were I point it and stops when asked. I didn't realize just how bad it had got until I swaped it.

I'v only just started to use the bikes again since my collision and have been using it for the last three days straight on a 130 mile commute in the rain. Today less then 1/2 mile from home the bike spat the front sprocket off and locked the rear wheel.  :o :o
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2021, 08:16:45 PM »
 I have original Pirelli Phantoms on the bottom of my clogs and they seem just fine, just not very good on grass.  ;)

Aaaagh just had a look and they are AVON Road runners,    ::)

Yes I do use tyres older than 10 years old.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:23:22 PM by Moorey »

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2021, 09:31:24 AM »
After a recent topic on here about tyres I am seriously considering changing the TT100's on my 750F1, they were fitted when I rebuilt the bike in 2007 and with the amount of miles I do they will probably last another ten years but they will probably be as hard as a rock by then.
So I am looking at the Continentals that were recommended on here.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline nairb

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2021, 01:40:20 PM »
After a recent topic on here about tyres I am seriously considering changing the TT100's on my 750F1, they were fitted when I rebuilt the bike in 2007 and with the amount of miles I do they will probably last another ten years but they will probably be as hard as a rock by then.

Its why I asked the question about 10 years old tyres.  My cl450 does 300/400 miles a year on good quality tyres.  They could last 15/18 years.... Is "could" the right way?.  If the 10 year rule from the dvla is passed on to all vehicles then my bike would fail an MOT.  I know I dont need an MOT for an historic vehicle but it would still be illegally on the road!.

I chucked out a set of TT100's a couple of years ago.... they had set like rock.
cb550k3, cl450k5, re5m, xs650xs2, mt500, kettle, gt550 x2,  gt380 Kz750 twin cb360K0

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »
Once payday comes I'll be ordering the new tyres it's just not worth the risk, I've had the bike since new and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »
Go for the Continentals you won't regret it.
Fresh rubber makes them so much nicer.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 03:54:30 PM »
I can't really see any government introducing the ten year rule for everyone. There are already mountains and mountains of old used tyres that nobody appears to have a clue what to do with. Can you imagine those piles if everyone has to change tyres at 10 years. Won't happen outside of commercial use, and how many of those tyres actually last 10 years.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2021, 11:04:26 AM »
I only have 2 bikes and they both get used so tyres are unlikely to last as long as 10 years. However, tyres do have a 'life' and are going to be hard and losing a lot of grip after 10 years so I would change them for safety reasons.
If you've had 10 years use out of them, you've had your money's worth.

Would you keep using engine oil that's been in your engine for 10 years?
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2021, 11:56:45 AM »
I can't really see any government introducing the ten year rule for everyone. There are already mountains and mountains of old used tyres that nobody appears to have a clue what to do with. Can you imagine those piles if everyone has to change tyres at 10 years. Won't happen outside of commercial use, and how many of those tyres actually last 10 years.

Quite a few as commercials can be recut and reteaded 4 or 5 times giving around 400,000 mls on the carcass.

https://classicsworld.co.uk/news/fbhvc-clarifies-old-tyres-stance/

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »
Finally got around to ordering the Continental tyres, will fit them and service the bike when they arrive but can't ride just yet as I have only one good eye and it's got a cataract, I'm getting it seen to next week.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal