Author Topic: Honda SS125a  (Read 797 times)

Offline Fourplay

• View Profile
Honda SS125a
« on: May 27, 2021, 06:27:35 AM »
I've been gathering parts for my 1969 ss125a restoration and bought NOS front and rear hubs from DSS at a good price, as they were sold as imperfect.  I'm guessing these were sourced from Thailand where there are various sellers on eBay and I have bought stuff from them which despite being sealed in bags suffer from corrosion— I guess from the humidity over there.

On inspection the braking surface on the drums had some light rust overall with a patch on each of slightly deeper rust areas. I've cleaned them up with a scotchbrite pad and should be serviceable. I'm still keeping them in storage so want to prevent further rusting. What would be good to use whilst in storage, and will be easy to remove and won't compromise the braking surface once fitted. I'm thinking ACF50 or WD40 may soak into the surface?

They were also clear coated which looks fine. Polishing is quite crude.

I remember seeing lots of yellowing peeling clear coat on the Hondas of my youth so my question is would it be best to remove this clear coat and replace with a modern alternative. If so what's the best way to remove the coating without compromising the original polishing. And which modern clear coat would be best.

Thanks
Justin
2009 Ducati Monster M1100S
1979 Honda 400/4 F2
1969 Honda SS125A
1961 Triumph 5TA Speed Twin
1956 Triumph TR5 Trophy
1956 Triumph T20 Tiger Cub

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Honda SS125a
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 07:45:54 AM »
Paint stripper like 'Paramose' ( methlene chloride type) will strip clear coat in seconds. Quickly blast away residue with soapy water...pressure washer or scrubbing brush
If you don't want to use nasty isocyanate 2-pack clear, Eastwood diamond clear gloss 1-pack works well but degrease thoroughly with acetone 1st.
A lot of folks don't bother with clearcoat. Just a wax coat and polish regularly. Hubs should be 'satinized  ;D  after polishing (knock back the high shine with finest grade Scotchbite or 2000 grit pad..... if you want to look like original they should not be highly polished.

If original finish has not yellowed or isn't peeling I would leave it on.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:10:10 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 07:58:12 AM »
Be careful with front wheel  rims for SS125 at some point they fitted different diameter rims. Most are 17" though
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 03:12:13 PM »
Good luck with the project.
I have always had a soft spot for these. Since the father of my mate had a red one in 1971.
Sean.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:25:06 PM »
Good luck with the project.
I have always had a soft spot for these. Since the father of my mate had a red one in 1971.
Sean.

Original exhausts are unobtainium .... the only real chance is looking in Japan/Far East for a CS125 exhaust (same bike but less sporty mudguards etc.) I found one side last year in Japan for my mate in York.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 10:55:50 PM »
This was my dream bike that I bought a new SS125 in Aug 70 (it's blue) when I was still 16. £190, I traded my C110 in and got £25 for it. Rode it to school. The dream wore off, it made hard work of the inclines on the M1 and I traded it for a Tiger 90 about 10 months later. But maybe as I work my way back down... [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Fourplay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 08:17:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Ash, the hubs look polished (but still have scratch swirls which I guess they didn't bother polishing out in those days) they came in honda parts paper with correct part numbered labels. There are a couple of scratches through the clear coat and a few swirls in the finish of the clear coat,so I think I'll strip them and maybe just clear coat the hub centres, where its awkward to clean. Back to my original post re: the braking surface, what would you recommend to coat them in for storage purposes, don't want any more rust forming?

As far as silencers go yes Rocking Horse Doo Dah. Been looking on and off for the last 5 years. The bike came with a rusty pair of these. So I probably get another pair.

My wheels are 17inch and I've got new rims (not DID) from DSS.

Here's a pic of the bike when I bought it. Looks a lot better in the photos.  Swingarm was completely ravaged by rust, I've got a s/h replacement which is solid. Came with the wrong seat (PO bought from DSS) which is off a 1973 CL100KO/125K3 in good condition see pic.

I've now got a correct used base, Cover and foam are shot and it needs welding. I've kept the foam, so it can be matched by a seat recoverer.

Lots to do still, its been on the back burner for some time now, while I've been gathering parts.

Thanks again everyone. Love that Mono photo of the SS125
2009 Ducati Monster M1100S
1979 Honda 400/4 F2
1969 Honda SS125A
1961 Triumph 5TA Speed Twin
1956 Triumph TR5 Trophy
1956 Triumph T20 Tiger Cub

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal