Author Topic: CJ360T engine advice  (Read 588 times)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
CJ360T engine advice
« on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:23 PM »
Hi all,
While doing 'final' tinkering with the CJ250T I thought I'd strip the CJ360T to see if she's worth restoring as well (don't ask why, I know they're not exactly in demand!).
Frame and bodywork pretty good generally and mainly original so that's the good news.
The engine is original and doesn't seem to have been messed around with but clock shows quite high mileage at over 53,000 miles.
From strip-down, one piston had a broken ring and obvious damage as well as the head - photo shows this clearly (reminds me of Nurse Julie's engine rebuild and the discussions on cause etc).
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
The bores are reasonable generally but one side has a rough patch and a scar as photo.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
The rest of the engine seems generally OK but I haven't gone through it in detail yet as I really wanted to see what the verdict was for the top end before going much further.
No proper engineering skill at all so no idea whether the head is salvageable - some of the pits are near the valve seats and edge of the head surface and not sure if this can just be 'smoothed' down.
The bores I'm sure will need a rebore - on standard size and measurements I took quickly suggest the wear is still below the service limit but clearly need attention. The problem here is getting pistons and rings - I've seen 1mm oversize for both available, or just 0.5 / 0.7 rings and odd pistons so may be tricky getting the full set needed. Is it sane to simply go for the 1mm oversize if parts are available rather than try and source the lower oversize?
Would appreciate views on the head and bores and any idea on cost of rebore as I've not yet had to have anything bored so no idea on price.

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CJ360T engine advice
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 04:34:08 PM »
Go with what ever oversize engine kit you can get but getit bored by somebody who knows Hondas(trigger coes to mind). Head will be ok the batterig is ring bits and dit a lot of 175/250/350 back in the70's if the owner thrashed the engine from cold the top ring used to shatter

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: CJ360T engine advice
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 12:56:01 PM »
Thanks Bryan,
I'll have a go at cleaning up / smoothing off the head and hopefully that'll be OK.
It seems getting a full set of pistons and rings is really awkward so I'll just keep an eye on eBay for whatever comes up and then see if I can contact Trigger and hopefully he can squeeze in a rebore for them.
Cheers,
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal