SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

David Silver Pattern Cam chain Rollers/tensioner assemblies

(1/3) > >>

AshimotoK0:
Has anyone used or have experience of David Silvers David pattern cam chain rollers/tensioner assemblies ?
 I always shy away from any pattern rubber parts and I have gathered enough NOS Genuine parts over the years for my own bikes.

However, Ben (new member on here and work colleague) is rebuilding his CB350K3 engine and I have advised him to change the cam chain and tensioner and  idler assemblies. We compared his cam-chain for 'droop' with one of my NOS ones and there was a significant difference. The recorded miles is only 8k and the  state of the internals of the engine would indicate this to be correct but I think the cam-chain hasn't been re-tensioned  enough times and has been lashing around.

Ben has found a NOS genuine idler mid-roller but the tensioner assembly  itself is ridiculously expensive new. DS does a pattern one but of unknown quality. Hence , the question above.

One thought I had was to get a CB750 SOHC new or NOS one and use the roller/needle bearing assembly from it  in the CB350 one (the roller is the same, as is the cam-chain and mid-idler on both CB/CL 250/350K and CB750 SOHC models .. although that would mean de-riveting and coming up with a way of refitting. We do have full engineering facilities where we both work though. The CB750 assembly is significantly cheaper than the 250/350K variant

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

BenPowell:
Ash, have a look at this, just seen it while scrolling through eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233882340721?hash=item3674794d71:g:w5MAAOSwal5YLw6r

it's a tool used to re-fit the 'rivet pin' I'm sure i would be able to make one of these easy enough at work.

All we would need then is a new pin, but again i think that would be fairly straight forward.

If all goes to plan it will save a fair bit of money.

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: BenPowell on June 27, 2021, 09:49:33 PM ---Ash, have a look at this, just seen it while scrolling through eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233882340721?hash=item3674794d71:g:w5MAAOSwal5YLw6r

it's a tool used to re-fit the 'rivet pin' I'm sure i would be able to make one of these easy enough at work.

All we would need then is a new pin, but again i think that would be fairly straight forward.

If all goes to plan it will save a fair bit of money.

--- End quote ---

I have the proper Capellini tool for peening over the rivet Ben.

Mr. Capellini himself sent it to me. (see pic below)

Also this is what they sell but I might have asuitable sprocket from a 450

http://www.cappellinimoto.it/catalog/motorbike/CL350/product/72

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

AshimotoK0:
This is the Capellini mod.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

royhall:
That appears to be a lot of time trouble and risk to save a one time difference of £24 Ash. It's bad enough when Genuine parts are not available, but when you can get them it must be worth the cost. If a cam chain lets go at high revs it's goodbye engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version