Author Topic: Axle clamp stud removal  (Read 2220 times)

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Axle clamp stud removal
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 05:18:59 PM »
Good reminder about heat loosening threadlock. Another use of heat I've used is to weld a nut on the damaged thread. The heat does some good and a spanner then fits the nut, I also "rattle" the nut with a light hammer  as I put some torque on the spanner, that's worked a few times, working the spanner one way then the other whilst hitting it lightly end on to tease the stud loose.
Anything's better than shearing it off !

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 06:22:10 PM »
Thanks guys,
Success ... new tool arrived this afternoon and actually worked just like it says on the tin!
The tool is pretty chunky so may be a problem for studs in confined areas but for the fork stud it worked beautifully.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Tightened it securely onto the stud and it loosened off surprisingly easily so a real result.
Feels like a tough bit of kit when tightening and grips the stud really well so happy to have another tool in the box!
Just have to wait for the new stud to arrive and I can get the bike back together again.

Thanks for all tips and advice
Cheers,
Andy

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2021, 08:56:12 PM »
Thanks guys,
Success ... new tool arrived this afternoon and actually worked just like it says on the tin!
The tool is pretty chunky so may be a problem for studs in confined areas but for the fork stud it worked beautifully.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Tightened it securely onto the stud and it loosened off surprisingly easily so a real result.
Feels like a tough bit of kit when tightening and grips the stud really well so happy to have another tool in the box!
Just have to wait for the new stud to arrive and I can get the bike back together again.

Thanks for all tips and advice
Cheers,
Andy

Is that the blue Point one with Lifetime Warranty?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143710545039?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 09:09:42 PM »
Ted,
It’s the Laser one I went for.
Probably all much the same but for some reason I still feel some pull to familiar old names!
Cheers
Andy

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
Well, new stud arrived quickly in the post.
However the new one has a shorter thread section to go into the fork leg. Part number superseded and has obviously changed a bit over time.
Guess it must be OK but just 'feels' a bit wrong being so much shorter into the leg.

Cheers,
Andy

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 10:44:20 AM »
(Attachment Link)
However the new one has a shorter thread section to go into the fork leg. Part number superseded and has obviously changed a bit over time.
Guess it must be OK but just 'feels' a bit wrong being so much shorter into the leg.

Cheers,
Andy

Out of interest what size thread/stud is it ?

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 11:03:03 AM »
Ted,
They are M8 studs, new one is about 42mm overall and roughly 5mm shorter than the original.

Cheers,
Andy

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2021, 02:56:58 PM »
Ted,
They are M8 studs, new one is about 42mm overall and roughly 5mm shorter than the original.

Cheers,
Andy

I bought the same tool as you but my exhuast studs are just too small as they are m6 - it's impossible to tighten the chuck onto the stud as it's at the smallest limit for the chuck. So far I have done a great job of flattening one of the threads - I got three out using two nuts but on the fourth stud the inner nut stripped so I need to cut it off. Luckily its a gash head given that I was practicing on.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 09:49:19 PM »
(Attachment Link)

Cheers,
Andy

As you note, I'd also be uncomfortable about that too.

There's a fair amount of integrity needed there to prevent it pulling the threads out of the casting, and looks a step too far to me.

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 06:59:02 PM »
Thanks all,
No idea why the new studs are shorter but seems Suzuki just rationalised part numbers on these.
Didn't feel right using them so luckily I've got some spare fork legs and pulled an old stud from one from these to use instead.

Now just got to sort a weeping front master cylinder cover that keeps spoiling the shiny paint finish around it. New cap and rubber seal fitted but still seeps a bit so looks like I'll need to dismantle it and check if the joint face is scratched and needs smoothing off.

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 08:05:58 PM »

Generally accepted in engineering in a tapped hole. The depth of the thread engagement is approximately 1 times the nominal diameter in steel and 2 times the nominal diameter in aluminium.  So a 8mm stud should have 16mm of thread into the aluminium.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal