Author Topic: Horseshoe Cam Tensioner bolts - not happy with the threads question.  (Read 955 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Today I went to put back the horsehoe tensioner bolts I am less than happy with one of the bolts as I began to tighten them up (I was aware of this previously but it seems worse). One bolt went to an initial 4 N-M but the second was not tightening up as it should so I am pretty sure the thread is worn and starting to strip.

I put some Locktite on both threads and all was clean before assembly. What are the forces at play on the tensioner is it possible that it could come adrift with just the one decent bolt?

I suspect either the PO has had it off before or the threads have been worn by the vibration through the seized  horseshoe?

Question is what can be done to the casing threads to fix the problem are there any best options?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Horseshoe Cam Tensioner bolts - not happy with the threads question.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 01:28:43 PM »
Helicoil both of them

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 03:53:35 PM »
Just a salient thought to throw in, if you are going to purchase a helicoil set, shop carefully. I have been buying a lot of bits and pieces from White Rose Tools, and have been 100% satisfied. They stock a thread repair kit by Sealey at £135. They also stock EXACTLY the same kit under the Blue Spot brand at £36!!! Haven't used mine as yet, but it looks the business.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »
Depends on fuel cost but you can brig it to me in Glos and i will do it for you

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »

Thanks for the offer but you are a tad too distant - I will go to the engineers who did my tensioner screw insert and have it helicoiled. I have read on here somewhere of another brand / type of insert but can't bring the name to mind.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »
Timesert but i dont think there is enough metal around the bolt hole to fit those, they are tapped out to 10mm

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »

Thanks for the offer but you are a tad too distant - I will go to the engineers who did my tensioner screw insert and have it helicoiled. I have read on here somewhere of another brand / type of insert but can't bring the name to mind.

After all of the issues you have had Ted ... a trip to Bryan's would be beneficial for other reasons as he could cast an eye over you parts and give you his opinion & do your threads. Just a thought.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 03:56:54 PM »
Timesert but i dont think there is enough metal around the bolt hole to fit those, they are tapped out to 10mm

In that case I will stick with a couple of Helicoils - tbh my experience of Helicoils was way back in the late 1960's when they used to be poorly thought they would sometimes come out with the bolt! Like most things the technology has improved and they are dependent also on the fitter.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 03:36:06 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Horseshoe Cam Tensioner bolts - casing back from engineers.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 08:39:01 PM »
After a pretty long wait (17 days but who's counting) I collected my upper crankcase today - despite engineers being careful there were clearly fine bits of alluminium turnings in the casing groan.........

So removed the bits I had left in place - gear selector forks, slector shaft & gear selection tumbler to re-clean the casing. 
Thank goodness I had removed both gear clusters safely stored in oiled zip lock bags.

Probably as it took so long I was given a pair of new set bolts as the threads were badly worn on the originals.

Only thing I have left in place is the starter gear that I have thoroughly cleaned with petrol, dried then squirted with WD40, dried again, cleaned the crank oil ways (again) and cleaned out all the thread holes with cotton buds after jetting with WD40.

I plan to have a long weekend off with a view to rebuilding the crankcases next week unless..................

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 05:24:19 PM »
Well hopefully the helicoils are all good and you have a squeaky clean engine! It's all progress Ted.
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 09:00:17 PM »
Well hopefully the helicoils are all good and you have a squeaky clean engine! It's all progress Ted.

They have done a superb job of the Helicoils with some neat replacement set bolts - not cheap £30 inclusive but happy - I can now get on with the engine work next week.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 10:39:45 AM »
That is cheap, we charged £6 per helicoil(£10 for spark plugs) back in mid 70's. The special taps are not cheap and i would expect engineers to be at least £60 per hour

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 01:35:39 PM »
That is cheap, we charged £6 per helicoil(£10 for spark plugs) back in mid 70's. The special taps are not cheap and i would expect engineers to be at least £60 per hour
Apparently they charged me for three quarters of an hours work so it was a good price.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal