Author Topic: Replacing my ignition...what to do, where to go?  (Read 488 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Replacing my ignition...what to do, where to go?
« on: July 18, 2021, 04:48:58 PM »
I've looked at the electronic ignition offered by both DSS and CMS and both are only compatible with the TEC system https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/stock/atu_types.pdf
However in the image of my own bike you'll see I'm not replacing contact breakers with electronic but a burned out electronic ignition. There is nothing on the left over base plate to tell me which I have. The only clue is that my older ignition coil is a Nippon Denso not a TEC, but that won't be enough. Does it matter anymore? I'm tempted to buy together with the wiring a complete set of breakers and capacitors already on their plate from this well known guy.  https://www.400fourbits.co.uk/#electrical ,  Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 04:51:06 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing my ignition...what to do, where to go?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 07:16:48 PM »
Looks like yours could be unique to the electronic ignition mounted to it,  and so may not facilitate other systems as straight bolt on fit.

You've probably got to go with another plate from that supply line (ok) to get you back to std.

Your advance retard mechanism seems to be still fitted (can be seen peeping through top hole in plate) which you'll need to use. Looks like the electronic chopper disc is fitted to the A&R mechanism. Worthwhile dismantling that and putting up a photo to see if any bits are missing. 

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: Replacing my ignition...what to do, where to go?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:10:39 PM »
uuummmm  I've realized I have to shift the base plate thingy to determine its species TEC or ND  ::) .....see you tomorrow!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal