Author Topic: Should this shaft have end movement if I pull it by hand?  (Read 2240 times)

Online Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Should this shaft have end movement if I pull it by hand?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »
If the pin hole is elongated, it may have been caused by the bearing spinning in the case as some stage in its life. Can you see any evidence of where the bearing may have spun?
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
If the pin hole is elongated, it may have been caused by the bearing spinning in the case as some stage in its life. Can you see any evidence of where the bearing may have spun?

Tbh if the bearing had spun I would have expected the elongation to be radial rather than axial if those are the right adjectives. The crankcase looks odd due to shadowing but the slot for the bearing looks ok.

I have attached a photo if this helps.

bearing location is elongated by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 03:58:58 PM »
Those definitely look like partial spin witness marks. But, I agree, the ovality would be fore to aft, not port to starboard.
Edit, but if there had been side to side play on the shaft, that would account for the slight ovality being port to starboard.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:00:54 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 06:19:54 PM »
I would have a look at mine Ted but I’m away. Make sure on the washer as it could easily have got misplaced. Hard to see that ovality giving 1 mm of float.
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 06:20:02 PM »
Is the thrust washer behind the needle bearing Ted, there should be a 20mm washer between the bearing and the gear.

Yes, I assume you mean between second gear & the needle bearing.
The end float  is more  than the thickness of the thrust washer - if it was ever dished slightly it isn't now it's flat with some light rotation marks.

I've ordered a new needle bearing, thrust washer & lock pins.
The parts book shows 3 of those thrust washers are fitted somewhere in the gearbox so I've ordered all three anyway as they were cheap enough.

I can't see much point in stripping down the whole mainshaft as the endfloat is basically the gap between the fixed gear on one end of the mainshaft that fits up to the large bearing & the second gear at the needle roller end. Second gear sits next to a fixed circlip on wide splines so it can't really move anywhere except for the gap between it & the thrust washer.

As a last resort a second thrust washer might be a option ?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 06:24:31 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 07:41:32 PM »
Hi Ted,

I just spotted your post as I was about to post a query on the roller pins of the gearchange positive stopper. (Soon)

I have my crankcase halves assemmbled and have been measuring the 5 mainbearing borings for size.

Just been in my garage and checked this shaft for end float - mine is solid with no movement between the shaft and the inner bearing, but if I push in and pull out firmly it will move the outer bearing in the casing and shaft about 0.5mm, which appears to be the side movement in the half circlip and its groove.

Hope this helps. ;)

Regards

Dennis
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 08:47:38 PM »
Hi Ted,

I just spotted your post as I was about to post a query on the roller pins of the gearchange positive stopper. (Soon)

I have my crankcase halves assemmbled and have been measuring the 5 mainbearing borings for size.

Just been in my garage and checked this shaft for end float - mine is solid with no movement between the shaft and the inner bearing, but if I push in and pull out firmly it will move the outer bearing in the casing and shaft about 0.5mm, which appears to be the side movement in the half circlip and its groove.

Hope this helps. ;)

Regards

Dennis
Thanks Dennis I haven't really started on  the bearing with the half moon clip side of the equation. What I did notice was that when the crank case was bolted up there seemed to be an overhang of the bearing outside the casing that seemed more than I expected. It might be both bearings are not as planted as the design suggests. Perhaps constant gear changes on a revvy little 400 engineb takes its toll on the bearing fittings. Very useful info thanks. Ted

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 09:50:11 PM »
Hi Ted,

This is the overhang on my bearing FWIW. ;D

Dennis
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

Online Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 09:53:45 PM »
That bearing is fitting far too proud for some reason, it should be flush 🤔 well, more flush than it appears to be in the photo.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:59:05 PM by Nurse Julie »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
Hi Ted,

This is the overhang on my bearing FWIW. ;D

Dennis
Hi Dennis, My overhang is about the same or marginally more. Not sure if new half moon clips would change anything. My bearings were installed dry maybe a smear of Hondabond would help stop further lateral movement. I have a spare gear cluster set that came with a casing from a member. I'm planning to try them for comparison. If they're a tighter fit I will use them. There is no ovalation on the needle bearing locator hole.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »
"It might be both bearings are not as planted as the design suggests. Perhaps constant gear changes on a revvy little 400 engineb takes its toll on the bearing fittings. Very useful info thanks. Ted"

Typically of bikes in general and certainly in these engines, there's essentially no real thrust load of any significance with all the gear teeth straight cut.

Clutch operation is the largest (which should be opposed by the clutch assembly clamping it's shaft on that principle bearing) but the rest of tolerancing is to facilitate accurate movement and controlling engagement of the dogs and their relationship to the shift drum along with it's forks. Insignificant load that would cause wear though in that direction.

Even the crankshaft has no effective thrust bearings as it's not subjected to that force.

In a car with helical cut gearbox and clutch pushing directly onto crankshaft end,  then they need to be mitigated, but on these it's just positional accuracy without much force that could cause components to wear.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 10:25:10 AM »
"It might be both bearings are not as planted as the design suggests. Perhaps constant gear changes on a revvy little 400 engineb takes its toll on the bearing fittings. Very useful info thanks. Ted"

Typically of bikes in general and certainly in these engines, there's essentially no real thrust load of any significance with all the gear teeth straight cut.

Clutch operation is the largest (which should be opposed by the clutch assembly clamping it's shaft on that principle bearing) but the rest of tolerancing is to facilitate accurate movement and controlling engagement of the dogs and their relationship to the shift drum along with it's forks. Insignificant load that would cause wear though in that direction.

Even the crankshaft has no effective thrust bearings as it's not subjected to that force.

In a car with helical cut gearbox and clutch pushing directly onto crankshaft end,  then they need to be mitigated, but on these it's just positional accuracy without much force that could cause components to wear.

Well made point about the gears being straight cut not helical I hadn't given that factor any thought.

One of the reasons I love this site so much is the knowledge of its contibuters being greater than the sum of the whole - its not just "corroborative detail intended to give engineering verisimilitude to an otherwise basic & unconvincing narrative" to misquote Poo-Bah of G&S fame.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:31:28 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Online Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
Are the half rings proper half rings? We have had numerous engines through here where someone has been in them in the past and they have used half of a piston ring as a substitute.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
Are the half rings proper half rings? We have had numerous engines through here where someone has been in them in the past and they have used half of a piston ring as a substitute.

Good question NJ- they look okay I've ordered a new pair for belt & braces - Ted

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »
I've just done some work on the two gearshafts - fitted two new end needle roller bearings plus the locating studs and half circlip washer that retain the big ball bearings.
Also replaced the thrust washers (3). Tbh it has not really made much difference to the end float on either shaft.
Most worthwhile part of splitting the case down again is  replacing the primary drive shaft bearings.

I have a spare set of gears in a spare crankcase set that seemed pretty tight until I cleaned them up with some petrol etc and they are pretty much the same as regards end float / side movement so I'm putting it down to the nature of the bike at present.

BiL is going to take a look as he is an experienced rebuilder of Japanese & Italian bikes though not of Hondas oddly enough he likes his Yamahas.
Currently in PAUSE MODE on assembling the crankcase so will do some more frame work.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:10:17 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal