Best wishes Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Advise
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 05:21:56 PM »
Hi all

Ok wound out all four air screws 2 1/2 turns and center electrode are a bit lighter and browner than the plug in the picture  if that make sense

Also bit the bullet and got some 38s on order from Allen’s performance so I can down down size from 40 to 38 to lean the mixture slightly

I guess when I fit the jets should set screw around.  1 1/2 turns out to avoid a possible lean mixture and do another plug chop

Also notice on a warm day she is almost happy to do a cold start without choke so I presume that also points to a too rich idle jet

Fingers crossed this sorts things

Catch up soon

Best wishes Al

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:28:10 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Advise
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 10:47:28 PM »
It's very low risk from a lean-ness point of view as you are making small changes that have very little impact on full load running demand at which error can have significant effect.

There's a very good routine for setting and evaluation of idle airscrew adjustment in Honda's own manuals from this era (often overlooked or ignored) that will let you see what you've got.

Warm engine and set tickover on main adjuster to give smooth running (after setting airscrew to 1 1/2 out) then on one cylinder at a time wind the screw out while running until it reaches a peak rpm, any more lean it should start to falter on that cylinder and confirms you're too far. Then from that peak rpm setting, wind the screw in again very slowly to get a 100rpm drop, at which point you've put just enough fuel back into the cylinder to run it slightly on the rich side of true combustion equivalent. 

Then adjust the overall tickover again with your main tickover speed facility and start on the next cylinder,  repeat until finished and that will set the mixture competently. 

As Julie indicated,  you can end up with slightly different settings from carb to carb , but this is the true setting calibrated for each of your individual cylinders as it exists then.

If you want to record where each one ends up,  that's the baseline tailored calibration for you engine.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Advise
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »
Hi K2-K6

Just a quick one to say thanks for all the advice

Got jets last night from AP and as it’s wet out spent some time in the garage and  now all fitted with 38 idle jets and I have set the air screws 1 1/2 turns out.

Interesting with 2 1/2 turns out on all carbs and running the original 40 idle jets after a run out last night to a bike meet plugs  now look like  this for cylinders 2 and 3 checked today (checked 1 and 4 originally as plugs easy to get too

So a nice clean central electrode with some soot on the earth electrode so cannot it be too far away from idea set up and hopefully going  slightly smaller for the idle jet will allow the bike to run with air screws out by about 1 1/2 turns and improve / crisp up the initial throttle response

Also now set the plug gaps at 0.5mm as you suggested

Raining hard now so will call it a day but looking forward to testing the new set up

Have a good one

Best wishes Al

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 06:14:35 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »
Any update on this, I'm getting ready to fire a new motor and all the diagnosis info on here is fantastic. Did you get the result you wanted with the smaller idle jets in the end and was there any conclusion on the overall crispness and delivery?
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »
Not been out yet

Best wishes Al

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2021, 11:52:01 PM »
not to worry, awaited with bated breath ;) ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Advise
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
Hi all

Quick update

Took bike to work today and plugs look a bit better cleaner with less black soot generally

Pilots now 38 air screw out 1 1/2  turns and plug gap is 0.8mm

Better pick up and a smooth idle too

Happy days

Best wishes Al

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:57:19 PM by allankelly1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal