Author Topic: Should this shaft have end movement if I pull it by hand?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Should this shaft have end movement if I pull it by hand?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
Are the half rings proper half rings? We have had numerous engines through here where someone has been in them in the past and they have used half of a piston ring as a substitute.

Good question NJ- they look okay I've ordered a new pair for belt & braces - Ted
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Should this shaft have end movement if I pull it by hand?
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »
I've just done some work on the two gearshafts - fitted two new end needle roller bearings plus the locating studs and half circlip washer that retain the big ball bearings.
Also replaced the thrust washers (3). Tbh it has not really made much difference to the end float on either shaft.
Most worthwhile part of splitting the case down again is  replacing the primary drive shaft bearings.

I have a spare set of gears in a spare crankcase set that seemed pretty tight until I cleaned them up with some petrol etc and they are pretty much the same as regards end float / side movement so I'm putting it down to the nature of the bike at present.

BiL is going to take a look as he is an experienced rebuilder of Japanese & Italian bikes though not of Hondas oddly enough he likes his Yamahas.
Currently in PAUSE MODE on assembling the crankcase so will do some more frame work.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:10:17 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Gear shaft end float on CB400 gearboxes ?
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 02:19:35 PM »
I could put an extra standard thrust washer on each of the shafts on the same end as the existing ones  - it would certainly make it much more rigid - might be Mr Honda designed the movement to be there - could end up with a hot gearbox that would stick in gear?

I have re-read all my manuals & they do not give any figures for end float or indeed mention it- it's at times like this I wish I knew what the gear shifts were like when it was ridden by a PO 12 years ago. The only mention about the gear clusters is to ensure the end bearings are properly located by the pin or half circle clips.

I'm currently doing bit's of frame building as I try to work it all out in my head & process any advice from folk here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal