Author Topic: RIP Neil Murray.  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
RIP Neil Murray.
« on: July 27, 2021, 11:14:43 PM »
Love him or loath him Neil (Bike pusher) has sadly died from a Heart attack. I never met him personally but communicated with him regularly via Messenger. I will so miss his knowledge and humour.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2021/july/neil-murray-dies/?fbclid=IwAR3Gdh6ee7u-2-HFGJSrEzKKZdP6g0dfjheBqSrhx9or2jT4dChUUhsSz5s
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:22:08 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
RIP Neil Murray.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 07:15:55 AM »
Yep that’s an untimely end. I think ‘eccentric’ was definitely a very fair description of him. I met him a few times - have to say he was a pretty opinionated chap and very single-minded. Not always my cup of tea (but frankly, I’m not everyone’s cup of tea lol) - but he said what he thought and rarely backed down - and he made me chuckle on more than one occasion.

Sadly that got in the way of him putting his ‘best foot forward’ on this forum and on another day I think his contribution could have been pretty humerous/valuable.

Regardless, at 63 years it does feel he was robbed of some of his best years and he certainly had the ‘get up and go’ to write and contribute to the wider biking community .
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:48:34 AM by JamesH »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Neil Murray.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:36:27 AM »
Wow that's real sad news .. I conversed with him a bit on FB after he exited  here and he seemed to have mellowed somewhat with his postings on there or maybe he just got off on the wrong foot on this forum. I bought an odd few parts from him off his eBay listings and always thought they were fairly priced start prices and BIN. I bought quit a few old Classic Mechanics from the 80'/90's over recent times and both him and my friend Graham Curtis both contributed articles during that period.

So that's Neil and John Wyatt passed away in a matter of weeks. Sad  :(
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 07:55:46 AM »
Sad news :'( :'( :'(, years ago I bought him several parts for my 400 four, including the original exhaust system at a good price, from time to time we talked through FB about trivial things due to my English, I did not meet him in person but He was always correct and kind to me, rest in peace Neil

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 08:19:51 AM »
Well this is a shock.

I’m a great fan of his MCN column but I never knew he was Bikepusher…

Knowing that now, I can see why his manner would upset people. My old friend Eamonn was a demon haggler when he was buying bikes. I can remember him almost driving sellers to tears.

With hindsight, maybe I should go back and read some of his old posts.

In 14 years, I’ve only ever banned two people from here. He was the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 08:13:07 PM »
That is sad news, 63 is no age to go either.

I met him a few times at Kempton Park as he always had a stall there and would always be selling a bike or two with some other hard to find parts strewn across the table as though they had fallen straight out of a shopping bag!

He was great to speak with although it was difficult to get away as he had so many tales to tell. He knew a great deal about bikes and whatever he was selling he could tell you the model year the part would fit. I remember a conversation I had with him about 400/4 kickstart knuckles and if they could be repaired, he had tried it but said they break within weeks. He told me good s/h ones sell for £100 :o

I used to read his column in MCN before I stopped buying it when it would only focus on £20k, 170mph sports bikes although I still picked up a copy for a free quick read of his column in the supermarket!

I didn't know John Wyatt had died either, very sad.

RIP both Neil & John.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 05:55:56 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to John Wyatt?

I've bought a couple of bikes from him when he had imported containers full as a "job lot" and he has supplied me with lots of spares over the years.

He also restored the CB750 that my friend sold to Frank a few years ago and was the prize in a raffle with one of the magazines in the late nineties, so I have met him quite frequently in the past.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 06:09:08 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to John Wyatt?

I've bought a couple of bikes from him when he had imported containers full as a "job lot" and he has supplied me with lots of spares over the years.

He also restored the CB750 that my friend sold to Frank a few years ago and was the prize in a raffle with one of the magazines in the late nineties, so I have met him quite frequently in the past.

From what  can gather John closed his unit  in Tockwith  possibly with a view to retiring but had a heart attack a few weeks later. Please don't quote me on this though but I know he has definitely passed away. Yes the prize CB750 UK diecast  he did for the magazine was BYU 765H .. three reg. numbers up from Dick Emery's bike.

For anyone who hasn't heard of John he is featured in this 'Top Dog' video BSA Rocket3 vs CB750

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7U-uNMg4x8
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 07:04:29 PM »
Thanks very much for that, I didn't know that he had shut up shop, either.

I did quite a few miles on the bike that was restored for the magazine, my friend owned it for around fifteen years and, as he suffers from Reynauds Syndrome, the cold affects him very badly. Most years, he would leave it with me for the winter (usually October to April, in fact) and I would ride it together with my own, as often as possible. It also went to France twice for the Coupe De Moto Legende at Dijon, to Spa for the "Biker Classic" and Scotland, as well as Wales almost annually.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »

In 14 years, I’ve only ever banned two people from here. He was the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure you banned him Steve? ... as I remembered it  Bitsa upset him and he left.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 08:19:52 PM »
Ralph Upset someone I don't belive it  ;D
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal