Author Topic: Silica Based Polish  (Read 623 times)

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Silica Based Polish
« on: July 29, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »
Has anyone ever tried Silica based polish?

I have just had a go on two of my bikes petrol tanks, its a multi stage process with a cleaning agent first then the polish then a curer. I used a polish called Gyeon Q2 CanCoat, its expensive but you only use a very small amount so it goes a long way - https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/collections/silica-based-coatings/products/gyeon-q2-cancoat

Have to say in over 45 years of polishing the life out of bikes and cars it is the most impressive polish I have ever come acrossj it imparts a really deep wet look shine and is very easy to apply and polish. On the Gold Wing it has actually made the colour look deeper.

I cant get good photo's on my crappy phone but I am really pleased with the results -
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Hopefully its protective qualities will be just as good as its finish but at present I would definitely recommend it, if the weather clears I am going to have a go on my car.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 01:16:43 PM by heli_madken »

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Silica Based Polish
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 01:21:47 PM »
Looks great - Is the cleaning agent and curer in the kit?
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 01:30:06 PM »
I bought them separately -

Q2M Prep - https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/collections/gyeon/products/gyeon-q2m-prep
Q2M Cure - https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/collections/gyeon/products/gyeon-q2m-cure

It is expensive as I said but at the moment I think its worth every penny

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 02:01:27 PM »
Wow! Can't justify 60 squid unfortunitely
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 03:33:15 PM »
When I worked for Mercedes dealer they sold this type of product as a paint protection pack starting at around £350 depending on the size of the vehicle. Surprisingly it did not resist tree sap very well. I've seen holes in car roofs that went through the factory transit wax, paintwork & metal caused by Seagull Droppings! It was a regular problem with cars stood in coast storage fields Audis in particular.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 11:12:06 AM »
... Audis in particular.

Oh Crap!!

Had a chance to get my car done, admittedly it was a lot more difficult to do large panels as the coating has to be applied evenly and polished off straight away. I think the conditions have to be just right which is dry, overcast and warm - really difficult in Scotland.

This is 3 coats of the polish and two coats of the curer after a thorough clean, strip and machine polish, the pictures again dont do it justice its come out really nice -

...Surprisingly it did not resist tree sap very well. I've seen holes in car roofs that went through the factory transit wax, paintwork & metal caused by Seagull Droppings!...

There are not many coatings that will withstand the Ammonia in bird droppings for any length of time. I live next to the sea so I do need protection from sand blasting and salt erosion. Early signs are good with this mornings fine rain sitting on the surface of the paint and not soaking in but time will tell -

Wow! Can't justify 60 squid unfortunitely

Agreed it does seem expensive. I can justify it though perhaps I look at it in a different way. This is my hobby I am not just polishing my bikes and car for the sake of it, it is more about the pleasure and satisfaction of achieving something and at the same time protecting my prize possessions. I always think to myself that some people will spend a lot more than £60 on a 90 minute football match or a night out on the town so I am happy to spend the money.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 07:00:36 PM »
Looks really good and hopefully meet your expectations regarding looking after the car.

RS6 ? we run a A6 estate Quattro 2000 model year as a family car, always been very well engineered haven't they.

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 11:21:22 PM »
Thanks, this is my 5th Audi for some reason I like them, seem to be good solid reliable cars. Its an S6 not RS so one step down but still loads of bloody good fun!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal