Author Topic: Irregular tick over  (Read 456 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Irregular tick over
« on: August 09, 2021, 01:17:29 AM »
Back on the road after a few months off it and while things seem mostly OK I wonder about tick over, an issue that vanishes at least to the ear when I move off. It seems to have a high-low character to it, could it be carbs? I have done work on them while my electric ignition was down.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular tick over
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 11:21:53 AM »
Are we talking engine idle when hot here how many revs is it registering on the rev counter as it fluctuates? On a air cooled engine idle changes are often the nature of the beast or is it a big change since  you have worked on the carbs?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »
After the engine warms up idle speed rises to about 1600 from about 1300, but the rev counter is fluctuating by about 100 revs like I'm babbling with the throttle, I never noticed this before I worked on the carbs where I had renewed a float and also noted the associated  float valve seemed to be a little less springy than the other three....renewal in mind, but the curse of getting the carbs back into their place doesn't encourage!  ::)
I brake for animals!

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 05:21:25 PM »
After the engine warms up idle speed rises to about 1600 from about 1300, but the rev counter is fluctuating by about 100 revs like I'm babbling with the throttle, I never noticed this before I worked on the carbs where I had renewed a float and also noted the associated  float valve seemed to be a little less springy than the other three....renewal in mind, but the curse of getting the carbs back into their place doesn't encourage!  ::)

It seems to me your idle speed is set a little too high when hot I personally would have thought 1200-1300 when hot is about right - cold idle can be set via the fast idle cam choke cam as I'm sure you know at 1600 rpm off choke its probabbly starting to run on the main jet - but I'm a novice so bear that in mind.

I know what you mean about removing carbs getting the intakes onto the air cleaner is a sweat inducing nightmare - have you tried just adjusting the throttle stop to reduce the hot idle ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:59:58 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 05:56:48 PM »
- have you tried just adjusting the throttle stop to reduce the hot idle ?
Actually that is how I solved the matter by doing earlier on....but not without burning myself!  ::) Thanks for the input!
I brake for animals!

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »
- have you tried just adjusting the throttle stop to reduce the hot idle ?
Actually that is how I solved the matter by doing earlier on....but not without burning myself!  ::) Thanks for the input!

Been there done that - they get quite hot quicker than you expect - pleased you have got the engine idle under control.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal