Author Topic: 4 Brand New Crankshaft half Shells for sale - 13316-333-003 Brown - SOLD  (Read 434 times)

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Hi, NOW SOLD

If you are doing an Engine rebuild these may save you some serious  cash. Purchased new from DS this week, only 2 removed from packets to test crank mains gap using Plastiguage. This was to give me a datum for measurement as my original shells were without any colours.

Members can have at half price + postage, before I offer on ebay.

See full deails on Member 4 Sales.

Hope this helps one of you Guys.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 12:36:43 PM by 400 Cafe Racer »
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Out of interest what was the final colour code outcome for the shells that give you the right clearance?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 09:56:17 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
As I said Ted, there was no colours on any of the existing shells. It was 5 sequences of Plastiguage measurement, taking readings each time and assessing where I needed to add or subtract clearance when I had the next set of results, non ended up in their original positions!!!. All the shells are run in with a light polish and I have ended up with all journals at 2thou clearance, which would have been 1.5thou on virgin shells. These clearances will allow full use of the rev range without concern.

The crankshaft is excellent, just that the 1 and 5 journals were too loose, losing some oil pressure I would imagine, and the centre 3 rather too small on clearance.

Very happy now its sorted and on its way back together.
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
As I said Ted, there was no colours on any of the existing shells. It was 5 sequences of Plastiguage measurement, taking readings each time and assessing where I needed to add or subtract clearance when I had the next set of results, non ended up in their original positions!!!. All the shells are run in with a light polish and I have ended up with all journals at 2thou clearance, which would have been 1.5thou on virgin shells. These clearances will allow full use of the rev range without concern.

The crankshaft is excellent, just that the 1 and 5 journals were too loose, losing some oil pressure I would imagine, and the centre 3 rather too small on clearance.

Very happy now its sorted and on its way back together.

Sorry Dennis I missed your other post where you mentioned the shell order changes to get the right clearances. Makes you wonder if someone just got mixed up with the parts when they built it up - I could understand getting the number order backwards but yours was worse by the sounds of it. I know when I was taking my new shells out of the packets and placed them in the crank I was very careful to get them in the right order - I even marked the casing with a felt pen so 1 & 5 were the right way around when the top casing was  upside down!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:30:19 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal