Author Topic: brake lines .... are braided steel worth it here?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
brake lines .... are braided steel worth it here?
« on: August 21, 2021, 02:53:50 PM »
I have had various bikes over the years with stock hoses and with braided steel...another back in the day 'fast lad' upgrade.

I have found some bikes responded well with braided hoses, and others felt wooden as hell and rather horrid. The things usually improved braking ..but a lot of that was down to the fact that they were replacing 15 year old hoses that were past their best.

So, what would be best for a 750F2 ?

My hoses are well shot, and the bike came with US spec high bars, so the front top hose was too long anyway. Rear hose was full of crystalised fluid and corrosion.....and was bin fodder too.
For the sake of safety, I want a full set of new hoses. No point in replacing seals and pistons etc. and NOT doing the hoses.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: brake lines .... are braided steel worth it here?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 04:18:19 PM »
Braided hoses work well enough, and there are companies out there that make them with colored plastic sleeping over them, such as clear, lime green, barbie pink, and many others, also black, which looks standard when not too close up. Standard hoses are very expensive for what they are.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »
... also black, which looks standard when not too close up...
Any legal issues arising with those aftermarket lines installed?
My GF's Kawa ER-5 failed the annual MOT over a braided line installed over here...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:28:13 PM »
Perfectly okay here in U.K. actually they are considered superior to OEM rubber ones. I remember reading a few years back about new rules being introduced in some places in Europe which would prevent the fitting if any non standard parts, or even different sized tyres. That said, over here they are only just starting to accept l.e.d. headlight bulbs!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »
I remember reading a few years back about new rules being introduced in some places in Europe which would prevent the fitting if any non standard parts, or even different sized tyres.
At first they only objected on braided lines with the screw-on banjos and tolerated the crimped ones... by now neither get a pass...
Probably a lobbying stunt in order to manipulate people into buying new vehicles instead...
The "benefits" (if there are some, as I see a proper bleeding job more effective) of durability and less fluid volume to be moved are debated widely...
STOC #637

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »
I wanted to improve the front brake on my 750F1 no matter how marginal, so I fitted a HEL coated braided hose to mine, whether it improved the braking or not I haven't a clue but at least I tried, With twin discs the F2 might not benefit from them but you never know.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 03:02:27 PM »
I wanted to improve the front brake on my 750F1 no matter how marginal, so I fitted a HEL coated braided hose to mine...
Looking great IMHO...
Often one cannot obtain OEM lines anymore for historical/vintage bikes... and then our MOT puts a "njet" on it...  ::)
STOC #637

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »
Those HEL lines look really tidy .... and much better than the shiny steel braiding I have had in the past with a black sleeve over the top.

I may have to go for something like that.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 11:27:23 PM »
definitely interested
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 07:24:05 AM »
Funny that as I’ve just emailed my contact at HEL, Shaun to see if he can make me a dual disc setup for my CB500 but one that retains the original hard line from the caliper to behind the fork leg. When he replies I’ll post and let you know the cost if you want. I’ve gone for black this time as well, before I had a Goodridge setup in braided silver but the fittings are rusty as hell now.

Oh and as for worth it, big yes from me, the Oe lines suffer from swelling under pressure so you get that spongy feeling, never got that with braided. As for the wooden feeling, that can also be due to pad choice, too hard a material for instance entered can give that feeling. Going for ceramic pads this time from SBS.

OEM brake lines are braided  ::)  You just can't see it. They have the rubber pipe then braided and that is then covered with a rubber sleeve. All brake lines brake down in the end using old DOT fluid  ;)

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 08:01:54 PM »
Bought a length of Goodrich braided stainless steel brake hose and fittings off fleabay.
Cut the hose to size and slipped a piece of black rubber sleeve over before the fittings went on.

Looks similar to original and acceptable for an old bike, much cheaper than buying made to measure stuff.

Good luck

Skoti

Edit.
Can't find it on fleabay anymore but here's a link to Goodrich:-

https://www.goodridge.co.uk/collections/600-700-series-hose-fittings
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:23:04 PM by Skoti »
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 09:19:26 PM »
Search an3 3mm brake line, you can get black now

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 12:40:39 PM »
In the very early '80s I fitted Goodrich braided hoses to my CB750F2 and together with Ferodo SS pads they really made a difference.

At the same time I also fitted Goodrich hoses to my commuter CB550F1 that i'd fitted double discs to. I had Vesrah (useless in the wet) in one caliper & Ferodo SS pads in the other....so double disc in the dry, single disc in the wet

Nowadays I have braided hoses on all of my bikes, especially on my FJ1200, which is ridden around the continent

On all bikes the fitting of the hoses has made a worthwhile difference & is recommended

Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 11:24:48 PM »
Looks like a full set of hoses for my F2, front and rear come to £132 with VAT.

Thats in plain black with plain stainless fixings

Hel and Goodridge are pretty much the same pricewise, to within a couple of £££.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 09:02:49 AM »
Hi, oddjob. I was interested to read your note on the twin disk set up (retaining the hardlines). I intend to do the same. I’ll give Shaun a call.

One question: what’s your solution for holding the rubber brake pipe grommet. EG replicating the left side wire arrangement?

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal