Author Topic: Flashing idiot lights on central console!  (Read 546 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Flashing idiot lights on central console!
« on: August 13, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »
Having rewired the new indicators and sorted out earthing they now work fine, they're not LED btw, but the idiot lights on console above ignition key for the indicators both sides flash at same time !. Indicators pulse at required rate and work correctly - they are also 21W bulbs as opposed to 18W , (not that i can see that it makes much difference- ampage wise albeit a small increase to 7amps , I assume you add combined left or right side lamps when flashing or do you add all 4 units?).
I'm guessing poor earthing somewhere causing idiot lights to both flash, am I right?

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Flashing idiot lights on central console!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 08:09:40 PM »
Greetings, and welcome to the WTF! club. Yours assumption re. a bad earth is on the money.  A couple of years ago, I disobeyed my dear old mum's instructions, and went out after dark. I was using  the main beam candle setting, the pretty little blue light was functioning well, and I operated the turn signal. The indicators worked well enough (21Watt Bulbs), but, yes, the orange repeater lamps in the display both gave a very weak effort together.  The solution for me was to completely disembowel all the spaghetti in the headlamp, and clean and polish every single connection in there. If I remember correctly, there is a multi connector with a host of green wires, and these in particular were not in a great state of health. All cleaned, re-connected, and back to how it should be. Have a very therapeutic couple of hours mate! Mick.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Re: Flashing idiot lights on central console!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »
Cheers Micky,
as you presumed was a dodgy earth wire in the console itself  - broken over the years where it's crimped inside - new wire and all ok!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal