Author Topic: Is this normal chain wear?  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Veedunk

• View Profile
Re: Is this normal chain wear?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »
As you can probably guess this is all new to me, really appreciate people taking time to help me out.

I’ve taken some photos of the chain as requested.

Many thanks

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »
Looks like it has either the wrong cam chain fitted (too wide) or the camshaft sprocket is wrong (too narrow).

BTW the camshaft also looks fairly worn to me.

Do we have a CB650 expert on this forum?

Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 01:34:43 PM »
I’d definitely split that motor in order to clear all debris from oil ways/galleries.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 01:34:51 PM »
"Do we have a CB650 expert on this forum?"

Ok, to the OP, the 650 is very closely related (development of 550) with not much change, but obviously some significant ones that familiarity of the forum may not initially cover. It may take some time to build you a picture fully to understand what you've got there.

https://www.facebook.com/102952896441309/posts/the-cb650-engine-disassembled-i-just-cant-help-but-feeling-joy-seeing-this-much-/2453570004712908/ looking at the photos in link, it does seem as Bryan believes that it's a Hyvo type camchain (the only one of these engines equipped with? ) but, and it's a big BUT, the chain link form in that link is definitely different with no apparent centre line that would interact with the sprocket in a different way, like control of centering from tooth form.
Additionally, the cases in that link appear to show a top face (site of wear on yours) of a different and square form to accommodate a wider chain as original.

Wondering whether this example here has had 650 components built into a 550 pair of crankcase (without clearance for Hyvo, wider chain) and given this odd interface.

Offline Veedunk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 03:31:34 PM »
Ok I’ve had a look at the oil strainer and there’s a small amount of metal deposits but certainly not much.

I tend to agree that the casting shape on my bike is different to the link, I will add a photo to try and show it more clearly and the wear/damage to that area. And yes my chain is narrower to the one in the link so there’s definitely something wrong here….

As for the pistons, they are all the same size and have all the rings so probably just a trick of the light there!

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
I have only ever done one 650 and memory tells me the chain looked like the one in the pic with the outer side lates holding the chain onto the gears.
Similarly i have only ever seen that type of wear in cylinders once and that was on a 750 serviced by the owner who did not understand how the camchain tensioner worked and thought he followed the procedure in a spurious manual but didnt and the camchain managed to eat a hole in the block oil leaked out of

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 04:00:21 PM »
that hyvo chain does not look a good fit on the sprocket. With the chain sitting on a tooth....how much of a side to side gap is there? Hard to tell by eye.... but I wonder if the chain just wasn;t the right part and sort of fitted.

Must have made a fair bit of noise when it was started up like that, until it wore a channel in the tunnel. I've seen worn tensioners and guides, and fore/aft slop leading to rattly cam chains, but never had one that chewed its way sideways.

I'd be replacing the chain and tensioner, after cleaning out the bottom end to get rid of the swarf.

I also think that cam looks worn ....
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Veedunk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2021, 04:32:34 PM »
Thanks again for everyone’s input here, it really is much appreciated but a little overwhelming at the same time!

I’ve put the chain on the sprocket, I would say there is about 1.5mm give or take of movement side to side…it doesn’t feel like a tight fit and quite loose on the sprocket teeth. Also, I’ve checked the David Silver website and they list a cam chain which looks different to mine, more like the one in the link posted by K2-K6, so I’m pretty sure it’s got the wrong chain fitted.

Very occasionally and only when starting from cold would I get any rattling from the engine, more like a single slap and then the noise would stop straight away and I never gave it any more thought as the engine ran fine.

As for the cam being worn, is there any way to check? It does feel slightly uneven over the lobe with a slight ridge on one side.

Cheers

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »
That cam is definitely worn, you can see it. 2 choices, find a good used replacement cam or send it to Newman Cams for building up and re profiling. The 1st option will by far be the cheapest option.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Veedunk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »
I’ve tried a few suppliers today but not had any luck finding a camshaft either new or secondhand. They are obviously quite a rare item.
It looks like I will get it re-built unless anyone has a spare camshaft lying around in the shed??

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 02:31:35 PM »
The underside of the chain is different to the top..which allows it to mean
 with the sprocket.

This is my chain, from an 81 model so it may be announced as it looks different.....If only I could post a piccie..

andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 02:33:03 PM »
..meant to say, may be an upgrade. This is my can sprocket.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 02:52:31 PM »
..is the chain  running in the wrong but of the cam- chain tunnel. It looks as if it ought to run in the square bit, but may have been routed in the narrower central bit and so came into contact with the head at either side.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Veedunk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 03:18:17 PM »
My new parts from David Silver just arrived this morning so I’ve taken a couple of photos…
The chain on the left is the one still in the bike, the chain on the right is the new one.
The sprocket on the left is the old one, new one on the right.
Some obvious differences…not sure if this will be the cause of the problem but somethings not right!

Offline Veedunk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 03:24:50 PM »
I’ve just noticed the photos above have rotated by themselves but you get the idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal