Author Topic: Aquablasting, polishing etc  (Read 744 times)

Offline Ceeby-jeebies

• View Profile
Aquablasting, polishing etc
« on: September 20, 2021, 03:54:06 PM »
Hi, any suggestions or recommendations  for what is best to bring engine casings back to original or better finish? My recently acquired F2 is looking a little the worse for wear here and there - see the photos. I’ve never had to deal with this sort of thing before.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Aquablasting, polishing etc
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 05:31:12 PM »
On a 400 they were painted on some side casings with a lacquer top coat but, most owners today just polish the side cases on a 400.
A early 750K is satin polished and the dullish silver paint is the etching acid that was put on so that the lacquer would stick  ;)

Honda used different methods on SOHC's over the years. 

Offline Ceeby-jeebies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 06:26:52 PM »
Interesting - what does anyone with experience of having aquablasting or polishing have to say about the end result?

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 07:49:12 PM »
When I bought my 400 the clutch case was polished however it had a lug missing so I had to replace it. Being naive at the time I bought a second hand one that had been chromed. The only way to remove it was to have it sent away and de-chromed. Because of the and the fact that my sprocket side cover is polished, I had this one polished as well. Personally I like the look. As you have a good case then all you need to worry about is getting yours the way you want it to look. You could probably polish it yourself if you have enough elbow grease. From what I know about aqua blasting, it wouldn't be strong enough to have much of an impact. Link below to pics of my replacement case and how it looks after de-chroming and polishing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RU9HYbsCnqjbnRtf7
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 08:17:05 PM »
Hettie with polished side cases and painted engine. Graham polished the cases for me 4 years ago and I never had to take the tube of Solvol to them.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 09:10:30 PM »
This is my cases after aqua blasting

Been discussing on the RD forum how to finish and one suggestion is silver Ceracote as its thinner than paint and and very petrol and solvent resistant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ceeby-jeebies

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 10:14:48 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their comments. Overall it looks as if polishing gives the best results, even if it’s not the way it looked when the bikes left the factory - while aquablasting also produces good results but seems then to need some other from of finishing.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 10:51:39 PM »
...Graham polished the cases for me 4 years ago and I never had to take the tube of Solvol to them.
Men have go their uses,  ;D  but why didn't you make him clean up the underside of the rear mudguard.... it shows!  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 08:37:42 AM »
...Graham polished the cases for me 4 years ago and I never had to take the tube of Solvol to them.
Men have go their uses,  ;D  but why didn't you make him clean up the underside of the rear mudguard.... it shows!  :o

Not original but I'd polish up to remove the visible rusting then a coat of some sort of underseal / Waxoyl to keep the noise down on gravel strikes!
I suspect the reality is a used bike will show use.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal