Author Topic: Instument/Meter Cushion Seals - not the best design by Honda ?  (Read 736 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Instument/Meter Cushion Seals - not the best design by Honda ?
« on: September 09, 2021, 06:46:45 PM »
I have found my Instrument bracket thought I would see what the actual Speedometer & Rev Counter are like and give them a bit of a clean.

When I removed what look like stainless steel backing covers I found quite a lot of rust on the lower edges of the back of the actual gauges - the seal iteself appears to be some sort of rubber with a sponge type insides to it - nice for holding water to let the back of the steel gauges rust away!

DS only want £15.48 for the replacements that from the photo look more square than round.

Is there an option thats better?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
Re: Instument/Meter Cushion Seals - not the best design by Honda ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 07:41:26 PM »
The old ones lasted for almost half a century, when the new ones do the same, what's the problem?

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »
The part number for the foam cushions is 37242-323-701 and fit both gauges. The mounting plates are stainless steel.

Rusty gauge bases cause the cushions to stick to them. The bases were zinc plated  with the passage of time the plating has detreated and that needs to be addressed.
Re-plating is the best option but can be painted once the rust is removed' If that's the  preference tape over the lamp apertures. Most certainly you don't want rust flakes getting into the gauges.   

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:11:29 PM »
I have just changed my own tachometer cushion , the original was so perished it had gone brittle and was breaking up, and I'm about to change the less effect speedometer one too. I don't understand what you mean about the sponge though, I only see rubber, am I missing something? 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:13:36 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 09:33:14 PM »
I have just changed my own tachometer cushion , the original was so perished it had gone brittle and was breaking up, and I'm about to change the less effect speedometer one too. I don't understand what you mean about the sponge though, I only see rubber, am I missing something?

Looking more closely I think my rubber has perished with the bottom part sticking to the gauge when I removed it it looks like foam - in reality its the rubber that has just seperated to look like a thin foam.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:43:04 PM »
The old ones lasted for almost half a century, when the new ones do the same, what's the problem?

You are right when you look at it that way - the small drain hole in the rear casings  probably got blocked up over the years so the water was trapped between the two halves in the Speedo unit.

My Rev Counter has not rusted at the back - the rust on the back of the Speedo looked bad at first glance - on second view it's not that bad really considering how old it is.

That will be more money for the DS fund in due course.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:24:26 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 02:55:23 PM »
Ted, it's always the bits you don't see during the initial inspection and strip down stages that end up costing as much money as the parts you know need replacing! This is especially true of the small parts. I had to replace the kickstart knuckle on my 400/4 rebuild. It took months to find an undamaged item, cost £80 and needed a rechrome.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 03:47:26 PM »
Ted, it's always the bits you don't see during the initial inspection and strip down stages that end up costing as much money as the parts you know need replacing! This is especially true of the small parts. I had to replace the kickstart knuckle on my 400/4 rebuild. It took months to find an undamaged item, cost £80 and needed a rechrome.

That explains why I'm baulking at some of the prices - I thought I was within a £100 of my final spend - I need to think £500 then be pleased its only £499!

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
It’s only money, Ted. I know exactly how much I’ve spent provided I purposely don’t recall the odd £20, £15, £25, £55, ……get the picture ;)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 05:47:53 PM »
It’s only money, Ted. I know exactly how much I’ve spent provided I purposely don’t recall the odd £20, £15, £25, £55, ……get the picture ;)

I have two budget in MS Money one is the Honda Rebuild category the other is Garage Sundries/Consumables  - special tools, paint. stripper, Evaporust, SS bolts Ramp etc etc.
Never realised Garage Consumables were so expensive.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 07:56:14 PM »
 :) :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal