Author Topic: Speedo & Rev counter lights question on bulbs.  (Read 570 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Speedo & Rev counter lights question on bulbs.
« on: September 12, 2021, 01:00:47 AM »
Looking at my Instrument lights my bulbs are either badly blackened or blown they're 12v 3w so I need to replace them plus  the pilot lamps some 9 units or so in total.

What bulbs do folk here use the DS ones or LED's  any links to good products appreciated?

The last post on this subject I found was in 2016 I think, I know LED's have improved over the last few years so any tales of woe or success welcome.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo & Rev counter lights question on bulbs.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 08:11:57 AM »
Hi Ted, I changed my clock bulbs to LED's a few months ago, marvellous!  I used a British company, Classic Car LED's. Very useful website and good quality bulbs.  I installed green LED's, type 233. I would not use white ones as they distort the colour of your clock faces, the light content id totally different to filament bulbs. That's why they tell you that if you use a LED in your rear light you must buy a RED bulb, if you use a white one the resulting light output is a pale pink, as seen on some boy racers hot hatches! There is no heat problem with them, they run cold, and draw a miniscule amount of current. Re. the idiot lights, I just replaced mine with standard filament bulbs, LED's in the indicator repeaters could upset the flash rate, the neutral light is on rarely, a bright blue LED main beam warning is the last thing you want shining at you on an unlit road, and if the red oil light suddenly illuminates I doubt if you will be worrying about whether you like the type of bulb!!!
  PS. If the attached pic works, the idiot lights are standard bulbs.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 09:06:44 AM »
It is difficult to get the correct shape bulbs as all the ones sold now seem to be torpedo shaped not round head which puts them a bit close to the plastic lens/clock face.
I did find a supplier of lucas boxed bulbs a while ago but it took him 8 weeks to supply the 20 i ordered.

I may have some left but they cost me £1.10 each with drat and postage and then there would be repostage

Online allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Speedo & Rev counter lights question on bulbs.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »
Plenty of standard BA9S 4w bulbs on eBay

Looking around you can get 10 for under a fiver

Best wishes Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 09:26:02 AM by allankelly1 »

Online ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »
We have been here before, a lot of stock bulbs on ebay are too long and the holders do not push all the way home, Honda ones are a bit shorter and a lot more expensive, but they fit.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 03:41:39 PM »
Ka-Ja thats exactly what i said.

You need Lucas LLB 643 BUT they MUST be Lucas not and equivalent or you will get the elongated glass bulb

Online ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 04:09:35 PM »
Hi Bryanj, just saying it's been discussed before on here, I have three different packs of useless ebay bulbs from 5 years back thrown in a box, worthless.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 06:39:55 PM »
Me too thats why i went and searched for the boxes mine came in. I got mine from autoelectricalspares.co.uk for 49p each but postage is £4.50

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal