Author Topic: Trying to refit the K1's airbox and boots!!  (Read 499 times)

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Trying to refit the K1's airbox and boots!!
« on: September 13, 2021, 02:06:45 PM »
Ok, so I thought I'd done the more fiddly job of refitting the carbs back onto the K1 yesterday, so thought refitting the airbox would be a breeze, wrong!!  I've been trying to refit it for the last few hours, the boots are correctly orientated but the thing just won't fit even after using silicon lube on the boots. Then, when I got somewhere close the captive nut on the airbox bracket wouldn't line up by about 6mm and wont budge.  I'm currently counting to a million!

What's the trick, or have I got the sequence wrong; I just thought that as I had removed it first then it made sense to refit it last???

Although I did notice the new DS inlet rubbers were a little longer than originals that came off it, has anyone else had this problem with them?

1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to refit the K1's airbox and boots!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 02:28:27 PM »
Can't help you with your K1 but I had a similar issue with my 400/4 they are well difficult for me.

I'm thinking of putting mine back on before I fit the air cleaner & battery case - working from the front backwards in the hope it will stop me from bruising/skinning my hands whilst I sweat with the effort.

I'm sure someone here will have the knowledge is U tube any help?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to refit the K1's airbox and boots!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 05:04:46 PM »
Ted, Oddjob

Thanks for your tips. I got bored counting to a million so went back out with a cuppa and with some leverage on the airbox brackets using a long screwdriver, 'delicate' force and Saxon language managed to get the captive nut lined up but it was very clear that I needed 3 hands, but made do with my knee, elbow and chin - the rubbers were fiddley but it's all now fitted up. I was going start the old girl but I'll leave that until tomorrow.......

Cheers, Andrew
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal