Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Chrome trim on CB350F, CB500F Etc Seat Covers.

(1/4) > >>

AshimotoK0:
I am helping a mate restore an original  CB350F seat. I have welded the base and the original foam is  still really good. The cover too is original but was really dirty with ingrained muck and after cleaning thoroughly and then treating with Avon Skin-So-Soft it became a lot more supple and some of the orginal puffiness in the 'quilting' has came back. However, when it dried out after a couple of days it still looked really dull. I experimented with some furniture restorers 'adhesion promoter' and this brought all of the satiny semi-gloss sheen  back but was sticky for a few days .. it's now dried out and looks pretty good...really pleased with it. I applied the adhesion promoter and then realised it is 2-part and  I hadn't  use the part 'B' !  :-[  But it worked fine in the end and not so sure that the part 'B' would have helped anyway, as I was using this stuff for a non-intended application

However, this seat has the rather sh*tty chrome trim integral with the cover and all of the chrome is starting to peel. I bought some self adhesive chrome 'detailing tape' off eBay,  which is exactly the correct width to stick on top of the plastic moulding, which is chrome covered, as standard. However, it won't stick properly. I then bought some ultra-thin double sided tape but again, when backed with the DS tape, the chrome detailing tape lifts after a short time.

Any ideas? I did think of spraying with aerosol contact adhesive but that would need masking and not very forgiving if I cock it up 1st time.

The first couple of inches of trim on the LHS , has the detailing tape backed with DS tape applied to it  but the adhesion isn't brilliant.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

AshimotoK0:
Anyone have any thoughts on this.

I may try spray on contact adhesive if no other suggestions.

The 350F seat cover is original and in really nice condition. If I can come up with a decent method then I may try on my 'dealer take off' CB500K0 set trim. Must say that the original chrome  trim  is sh*te .. even NOS seats that come up very rarely, never have this trim in perfect condition. It was much better on the 750s and CB250/350k range with screw fixed polished stainless steel trim pieces.

Laverda Dave:
Always difficult working with old trim Ash.
I would suggest using Araldite although to be on the safe side you would need to mask the areas and make sure they were spotless before application. I also think Araldite is waterproof and much easier to use with a small brush. Using the spray type adhesive would mean masking the whole seat combined with the spray pattern of the adhesive means it goes everywhere except where you need it to! I dont think coach trimming contact adhesive is waterproof either. I bought some coach trim glue from ebay to stick vinyl to vinyl (there was a 15mm rip in the seat cover of the Z400, it was useless, it didn't harden, just stayed like liquid glue).
Just my thoughts.
Nice job on the seat cover, looks new :)

mike the bike:
I picked up a great tip for working with Araldite.  It's less messy and more controllable.
Use the side by side syringe type and squirt some in the corner of a plastic food bag.  Massage the bag to mix it up. Snip the corner off the bag, the size of the hole depending on what you want to repair.  Squeeze the mix out just like icing a cake.

Laverdaroo:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165150725112?hash=item2673c013f8:g:jwoAAOSwJcddA3ax

Adaptable???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version