Author Topic: Carburetor rebuild  (Read 759 times)

Offline Maax1200

• View Profile
Carburetor rebuild
« on: July 22, 2021, 03:01:17 PM »
I have a quick question regarding the emulsion tube on a CB 500 -74. I was watching Classic Octane and the episode where he rebuild a set of carburetors (very helpfull).

There was one thing that confuses me though. When he installed the emulsion tube he said that the end should be flush with the carburetor body. Thats not how it looked/looks in my case (see pic). So witch is correct?

/Magnus
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:03:20 PM by Maax1200 »

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Carburetor rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 06:02:53 PM »
Perhaps he was referring to the seating face on the emulsion tube that must fit flush with the carb body inside the alloy turret, ie out of sight, underneath . I'm sure that needs to be a perfect seal .

Offline Maax1200

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »
I checked again and he was talkin about the other end, where needle meets the jet insider the bore. Wierd thing is that the emulsion tube can be mounted either way, either fully seated like in the picture or flush with the carburetor body like Classic Octane say. On the other hand, he says "basically flush", what ever that means.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 11:50:31 AM by Maax1200 »

Offline Charliecharlcomb

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 07:10:51 PM »
Make sure if you are changing the emulsion tubes you also replace the needles as they are matched. Took me ages to troubleshoot this problem on mine.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »
What works for me, is just use the main jet to push the needle jet in position. BTW, I've lost all interest in Classic Octane's videos since he managed to post a vid about setting the ignition timing without mentioning the importance of first adjusting the breakerpoints gap.

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 09:37:52 AM »
Magnus, there must be a bit showing  through in the  choke area, like the photo,  as it is the air/fuel mixing chamber. To tell which way up, most of the emulsion tube holes should be towards  the lower end and the thick end of the needle should just fit in the jet at the top of the emulsion tube.
Hope that helps .
Regards from East Yorks.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 01:35:41 PM »
Second that advice. My carbs where a virgin rebuild and the emulation tubes have orientation as described in the previous post.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal