Author Topic: Please don't panic buy.  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Please don't panic buy.
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Well, the lefty BBC started all this panic fuel buying so I guess this is their attempt at humour, but what's in a name.... ;D

WARNING:  This is a bike forum.

When were you put in charge to issue such a trite "WARNING".

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2021, 10:24:52 AM »
Well, the lefty BBC started all this panic fuel buying so I guess this is their attempt at humour, but what's in a name.... ;D

Calm down dear! Ever heard of Humour?
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2021, 10:34:51 AM »

Calm down dear! Ever heard of Humour?

Where was there any indication of any sort of humour in Seabeowners post. I obciously didn't see any. hen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 10:36:29 AM by Moorey »

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2021, 11:17:55 AM »

Perspective humour...........;) https://youtu.be/XM_YeUCMjII

Have a lovely day.  :)
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »
I’m in Cornwall, we came down to Goodwood for the revival and had a holiday in the 911, first decent run in it for ages.

The trouble is, there’s a couple of gallons in the tank, and it’s around £80 worth of fuel (super unleaded only) to get back to Manchestershire, and I don’t have a lot of options.

Normally if you run out of fuel, the AA would laugh and say it’s your fault. This is out of my control, it’s all gone breasts up since I got here. I think joining long queues may be in order I’ve heard of £30 limits though.

I’ll let you know what happens.
Hope you manage to get back ok Dave and hopefully the situation hasn’t put a dampener on your trip. Sounds like great fun.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2021, 11:29:53 AM »
Cornwall is a long way from Goodwood.

I was down there last weekend during the Revival. I was on a bike trip to Hayling Island for fish and chips (they were lovely, although the Inn on the Beach wasn’t serving food as they had no staff…). Picked up my son-in-law’s father (also a biker). His next door neighbour had rented his drive for the day. Two Mustangs and a GT40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2021, 11:57:11 AM »
It's a shame so many petrol stations have closed, 40000 in the 60s, 18000 in the 90s and less than 9000 now and with far more vehicles on the road.
That's a good point. Our local 'independent' garage has just 2 pumps, petrol and diesel and a man comes out and fills the car for you. In Wainfleet, also not far from us, there is a petrol station that is that old, the pumps are still on the pavement and you just pull up by the curb and they come out and serve you. But, with both places, their fuel is usually at least 1p per litre cheaper than the big sellers.

There is a small filling station on a housing estate in Duffield that still (I used it circa 2015 ish) had mechanical dispays in Gallons only - no money on the dials!

Not as bad as when I was in Cyprus a few years ago - the out of town Taverna had a hand wound mechanical pump.

New Zealand Lane Ted?

Yes it is bet the pumps are still the same!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2021, 03:30:41 PM »
Tip for the day: If you put a bottle of whisky in your tank it will increase your range! ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2021, 04:06:41 PM »
Will supermarket whisky be okay or is it unsuitable due to E10 - best use 10 Yr old stuff them.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2021, 09:43:28 PM »
Steve you must’ve gone past us, we were at the Premier Inn in Havant. We nearly went to the Inn on the Beach for food, glad we didn’t bother with the walk now, but went to the Little House at Home and a curry house the next night instead.

We’re now safely in our digs for the night in Shrewsbury, but getting out of Cornwall was a bit of a nightmare. Every petrol station we passed was completely shut, but my satnav insisted we could get fuel on the A30 near Oakhampton, quite a long way from near Padstow where we had set off from. We arrived at the Shell station with the fuel light on, to my relief they had Shell Super, but had just run out of diesel. A bunch of big camper vans were apparently camping out by the lorry diesel pumps, to wait for the next delivery. If the garage had run out of petrol I don’t know what I would have done.

On the way up we saw some places with horrendous queues in towns like Hereford, other little garages were just like normal but often with some pumps locked. I’m glad to hear the sound of screeching u turns from HMG, as keeping things running and food on the shelves is one of their core missions really.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2021, 08:29:43 AM »
Went for a ride yesterday and would say less than 20% of stations I passed were closed for fuel.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2021, 08:31:09 AM »
MrDavo that creepy fly avatar is freaking me out - I might have to get my Raid insect spray out.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2021, 10:16:45 AM »
Moorey...you'll never make a TV reporter.

They took the time and trouble to hunt out every closed one they could and find all the longest queues. I mean....you can't fabricate a drama and get viewers without demonstrating the collapse ( again) of civilisation.

You go around telling people that 80% of fuel stations are working perfectly normally, and the 20% that aren't have either been drained by panic buying, or have just run into a temporary problem due to strained supply chains.

Still....all those folks hoarding fuel and sitting on their tankful of fuel ought to read up what E10 does if you leave it lying around....
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2021, 11:12:33 AM »
Moorey...you'll never make a TV reporter.

They took the time and trouble to hunt out every closed one they could and find all the longest queues. I mean....you can't fabricate a drama and get viewers without demonstrating the collapse ( again) of civilisation.

You go around telling people that 80% of fuel stations are working perfectly normally, and the 20% that aren't have either been drained by panic buying, or have just run into a temporary problem due to strained supply chains.

Still....all those folks hoarding fuel and sitting on their tankful of fuel ought to read up what E10 does if you leave it lying around....

Hopefully I will never sink to such levels. I only say what I actually see.  One thing the garage close to me is highly unlikely to run out of fuel as they only accept cash. So that will keep most away.  ;D

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »
Just in London for hospital appointment. Travelled down early this am. M1 then Finchley Rd etc / Regents Park route. Pretty busy as usual but then stop start for less than a mile - took 90 mins plus. Guess what. Drove past a petrol station with expected queue, then the road cleared. Result 50 mins late for appointment!! Aaaah!!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal