Author Topic: DVLA Service?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
DVLA Service?
« on: September 27, 2021, 08:31:43 PM »
14 weeks to send a new V5C then 9 days later they are sending a threatening letter saying tax it or sorn it!!

Bloody govinment beurocratic twaddle

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: DVLA Service?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 08:40:54 PM »
Just do one or the other Bryan, you don't want a £1000 fine.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 10:35:53 PM »
14 weeks to send a new V5C then 9 days later they are sending a threatening letter saying tax it or sorn it!!

Bloody govinment beurocratic twaddle

It's down to the DVLA computer systems they are quite old and as government legislation has changed through the decades the system is creaking under the strain from a lifetime of changes to the systems - including closing the regional LVLO  offices & handing a lot of what they did to Post Offices - even new car dealers input their data directly to DVLA systems to register a new car - the original  New Car Dealer V55 paper documents issued by the manufactureres are rarely used except for small low volume dealerships.

I recently changed from BT back to VM for my phone, TV & broadband - BT sent me a returns envelope and I returned all the kit within 2 days of being out of contract - I had an e-mail confirming the return of the equipment a week later - I have since had at least 6 texts & e-mails threatening to charge me for the unreturned kit.

Today I went through the BT complaints system to resolve the issue before they tried to bill me.

Every time I renew my Driving Licence I photcopy the old one to make sure they do not take my M/C licence off me. I have kept my old Derbyshire Red D/L showing my original group D entitlement I think it is. If they make an error you can end up having to re-take your test if you can't provide the original test pass details that were  stored on Microfish decades ago in the DVLA archives in basements in Wales somewhere.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 11:21:21 PM »
I agree Ted, its just the idiocy of 14 weeks for the V5 which you have to have in your hand for the number then less than 2 before the threat, i wounder if the defence of i am asefficient as them would hold up.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »
I agree Ted, its just the idiocy of 14 weeks for the V5 which you have to have in your hand for the number then less than 2 before the threat, i wounder if the defence of i am asefficient as them would hold up.

Just as an aside there was a documentary on the DVLA site a couple of decades ago - the post room was supposedly so large it had more than one postcode it was vast - I guess now with online progress the old post room is full of servers. It would be interesting to know how many folk work there today.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:07:47 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 11:40:48 AM »
how many folk work at DVLA?

my guess....about half of them
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 12:10:48 PM »
how many folk work at DVLA?

my guess....about half of them

Almost 5500 or thereabouts when I googled it so if you apply Prices Law there will be about 74 productive workers who do the majority of the work.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:46:06 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 01:52:26 PM »
They can be awful, that my historic experience.  However the other day I was pleasantly surprised, when I returned my sidecar to the road I just paid the tax by direct debit intending to sort out the historical taxvthing next time I was in town, 3 months later I still hadn't been arsed but 3 letters arrived within days to inform me they'd noticed I'd paid tax on a historic vehicle, they refund the overpaid duty, and they sent out a new logbook with class changed to historic tax class and finally a cheque for £18.18p.
Dvla offices sound like a bad place to work during covid, some bod in central government decided thsg as long as they sat back to back, that social distancing need not apply, so they were hauled into work in the office and had a massive covid infection rate, like 500 off at 1 time covid positive. I reacon its basically a massive hell hole of beurocracy. Incredibly frustrating to deal with, probably as bad to work in.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 02:03:43 PM »
A couple of months ago I sent off 4 of my older Hondas'  V5c's to ensure they were still on the system and, hopefully, get them classed as Historic. There's still one outstanding, two I had to fill a form in to claim those they had apparently lost.
For one, I got a letter telling me it was lost, before I had reported it lost. There was a direct tel number on the letter. I rang it, and was asked where I got that number from !!!

Then, Friday, last week,  I bought another bike from Earnshaws in Huddersfield. The V5c with my details in turned up on Monday morning,  that's half a working day !   That's excellent service.

Looks to me they are geared best for  computers doing the work. Stuff that arrives in the post  (apparently 8000 items PER  DAY ) go " into the system ".

I don't think I'd enjoy working there.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 09:48:06 AM »
I am 4 weeks into the wait for my 3 year license renewal, could not do it on line as they wanted a new photo and my old license as proof of who I am, 60 years with a driving license and I cannot prove who I am, as my passport has timed out and I no longer exist on computers.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »
I am 4 weeks into the wait for my 3 year license renewal, could not do it on line as they wanted a new photo and my old license as proof of who I am, 60 years with a driving license and I cannot prove who I am, as my passport has timed out and I no longer exist on computers.

I've used an expired passport when I helped my Mum get her first photo licence when she was 70. As my Mum could not produce even a copy of her Austrian birth certificate due to allied bombing an e-mail to DVLA helpline and as long as her appearance was similar to the current photo they would accept proof of i/d. I just had to include a print out of the e-mail reply from DVLA with a paper application.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »
They get better, or worse,
Just got a red reminder for the bike and a reminder for a car dated 2 days AFTER the electronic reciepts for sorning them i have on my puter. Left and Right hands not even on same planet!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 03:02:04 PM »
Different computer systems.

Worse than being on different planets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »
DVLA in Swansea is now run run by Capita, who also collect my council tax on behalf of.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 01:55:58 PM »
to be fair to DVLA ...they CAN get it right if they try.

I went online last Thursday to upfdate the address on a V5 and my driving licence. The photocard was due for renewal in January anyway...so I took the option to renew that with my passport photo held on file. Posty delivered the licence and updated V5 Saturday.

Both were correct. So, can;t really complain there
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal