Author Topic: Overtight Keyster Airscrews!  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Overtight Keyster Airscrews!
« on: October 04, 2021, 10:56:17 PM »
Well, after Nigel's (K2-K6) visit a few weeks ago we managed to get my K1 firing on all four pots, although No1 wasn’t firing consistently which turned out to be debris in the pilot jet. But after trying to wind out the Keyster air screws we found they were so tight (all but one wouldn’t budge) the heads just started to chew up and No3 snapped half its head off; they were turned out about one turn and hadn't been set by a gorilla either!  I know they are an interference fit, but..............

I'll be putting a micrometer on the threads and I'm pretty sure they'll be oversized.

Has anyone else come across this issue with Kester air screws?

Anyway, now I've got some free time (an oxymoron for a retiree I know! ::)), the carbs will come off again tomorrow to extract the screws and refit the originals.

Cheers,
Andrew

1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Overtight Keyster Airscrews!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 08:40:50 AM »
I know the feeling about being a retiree - I can't figure out how I ever had time to go to work - plus my whole week will be messed up by a mid-week,   mid-day dental appointment.

One thing for sure you will be getting highly skilled in the carb removal process - sounds like you are getting there in sorting the issue.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »
 Someone could have put a drop of Studfast on them in the past. When the carbs are stripped try some heat to break the bond.

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »
Ted,

Yes, I'm getting into the swing of taking these things off. In fact when I put them back on I'll fix them on with Velcro!

Moorey,

I've tried heat and shock but the brass is so soft the screwdriver just chews it up, so screw extractor time.
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 07:54:16 AM »
Sometimes I’ll nip to the workshop even for half an hour simply because I’ve just about wasted every other hour that day! Note to self - sooner you get the mundane jobs done,the sooner you can get on to the exciting stuff!
That air screws look a right delight to work with Andrew!😡
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:15:33 AM by Johnny4428 »
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 12:54:02 PM »
Unfortunately it was my turning of the #3 screw that has brought the need of further work to the carburettor.

We had fettled through the various cables linkage etc to get a consistent and accurate closing and response to twistgrip control as it was giving Andrew concern with odd responses prior to that, this brought a more confident position that it would have correct control over engine speed.

Then looking at it's running it feels too rich with the throttle fully closed and needed input from throttle to keep idling as it would either quit when set at reasonable rpm or needed setting too high idle with the master tickover adjust to prevent that happening, hence then looking at the airscrew set point to consider fine adjustment and stable idle.

This is where the problem began with the keyster air screws, installed for Andrew by someone very familiar with working on carburettor they must have gone in easily (showed no signs of burring around the slot) but were very significantly tight to move at all. #4 came out although tight and we could compare to the original and see it had a slightly different profile.
#3 was very resistant to turn and so I used a straight and good fitting bit in a  1/4 inch drive socket with extension bar to get a very straight drive while holding the bit in full engagement.  This started to turn anticlockwise but then sheared one half of the drive slot from the screw as it wouldn't support the torque required to turn.
It just seems they should never be that tight and looks like they weren't when they went in , hence both of us being puzzled as to how that may have changed and was that specific to keyster materials? 

Conciuos that it's now caused more work in a one step forward then one backwards, but it's a really very nice original bike with low original miles, sounds very good mechanically along with the HM300 pipes having a particularly distinctive output too.  Very puzzling why the screws have ended up so tight when nothing appears to have been done wrong.

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »
It's just one of those things Nigel, it could just as have easily been me the screw broke for, and probably would have. I dropped the carbs off with Mark yesterday (they still are a black art to me!) and he was surprised at what had happened, particularly as the screws went in easily enough and internally were in great condition reinforcing its low mileage.

With everything else that's happened in the last 2 years, I'm losing a bit of love for the K1. So these photo are for me....

1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 03:22:51 PM »
Stick with it Andrew, it will all come right in the end, a few days away from it will make the difference. In the words of Churchill when times were tough 'We shall never surrender' (maybe you can tell I'm a volunteer tour guide at the Battle of Britain Bunker in Uxbridge :)).
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 05:43:58 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'm sure it will come right in the end somehow and the old girl will be on the road again.

You cant beat a Churchill quote in times of need or down a bunker in Uxbridge!  :)
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Overtight Keyster Airscrews! - the little buggers are out!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »
Phew! Mark managed to get the air screws out yesterday with a combination of heat, effort and an Easyout. :) He'll be giving the carbs another going over next week, after which I'll put them back on and fire the old girl up to see where I'm where I'm at.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 10:23:32 AM by Andrew-S »
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »
Feel your pain. I’m currently dealing with a very, very stubborn float bowl drain screw that shows no signs of yielding despite the use of heat, penetrating fluid and a custom screwdriver fashioned to fit the slot full depth and width. There has to be a way?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 09:31:03 PM »
That's a relief Andrew, and phew  ;D they all came out.

Thinking logically through it from running the other day it may be worth getting Mark to double check the idle circuit paths on number 1 carb as it was that cylinder running intermittently, it seemed to pick it up as throttle opening increased, and could be worth close inspection.

The other 3 seemed to be running fine and with the ability to set idle mixture I'm confident that there wouldn't be a barrier to clean running.

I think it's very close to being recommisioned effectively and shouldn't need much, just that ability to fine trim it as we couldn't last time.

Nigel.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2021, 11:27:31 AM »
Feel your pain. I’m currently dealing with a very, very stubborn float bowl drain screw that shows no signs of yielding despite the use of heat, penetrating fluid and a custom screwdriver fashioned to fit the slot full depth and width. There has to be a way?

Put your screwdriver on the screw apply pressure but don't gorilla it or it will just distort and knacker. With a small hammer or heavy 'ish' screwdriver, ( I have a 4oz machinists hammer). whilst providing said pressure just tap the end of the driver repeatedly, (not hard and ) and try to keep tapping for a couple of minutes. It'll come, if it doesn't just repeat.
Sometimes they give up easily, sometimes it may take a couple of goes but it worked a treat for me on pretty much every welded shut screw and bolt on mine.

Im not saying beat the granny out of it but a constant percussive force no matter how weak will dislodge it  in the end. 'Penetrating oil a go go' I hasten to add.............
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2021, 11:30:22 AM »
Yes, a big phew Nigel, I'm very pleased they came out.

Thanks for the advice, I'll chat to Mark.

Cheers,
Andrew

1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »
My K1 carbs are now all sorted, Mark (MK Classics) not only managed to extract the snapped pilot jet see: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,25765.0.html but also the chewed Keyster air screws out which were slightly oversized (not the first time he's had problems with Keyster) and the originals are now reinstalled.

I refitted the carbs (for the third time) at the weekend and it's now idling which was the original problem.
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal