Author Topic: Struggling with clutch adjustment  (Read 703 times)

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Struggling with clutch adjustment
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:31:28 PM »
I'm in the garage trying to adjust the clutch. As a starting point, can anyone tell me .. should all the 4 bolts that hold the clutch / basket be fully screwed in?   I've been searching round for inspiration and I think they should be, but when they are I can't disengage the engine/ drive chain.

It seems unlikely that the push rod is too short, and I'm out of adjustment on the lever / cable so I assume my setup is wrong somewhere. Only options i rethink of are that the bolts have pushed the whole lot in too far, or maybe I have the wrong cable with too much freeplay/cable.

Any thoughts appreciated!

andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with clutch adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure the clutch basket springs should be torqued up. Not sure what your model has in terms of the mechanical system that converts the cable pull into depressing the clutch the 400 has this triple balled plate system. Then if course there might be the thrust movement between the basket & the gearbox shaft. Others here will advise I'm sure.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:37:06 PM »
Cant tell you how to adjust it till you tell us what bike, and model, it is

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 07:37:17 AM »
High Andy.

Assuming you have a 550, as that’s the forum section this appears in, all four screws should be tightened down to the specified torque. Are you sure the clutch housing lever is on the correct side of the lever mechanism. If the bike has been stripped down it’s easy to over extend the lever and have it flop to the wrong side of the operating mechanism in the housing. That’s only one possible cause of course.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 07:50:51 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts....model is a 550F2. 

The mechanism inside has been set up so it doesn't flop about - and the cam stays behind the actuating arm and is pushed back into place when the clutch lever is released, so I'm sure

I'll dig out the torque settings and check those.

Cable is new and I can't find a receipt but I'm sure it's right but if not and it's too long, potentially could that mean it doesn't disengage enough.

Plus it's an old clutch so could the plates be too thin..but then it would slip rather than grip...

I'll check the torque first and report back.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 07:56:28 AM »
Another issue could be that the teeth on the basket and pressure plate that hold the friction plates are not aligned correctly.
I did this on the 750 and when the pressure plate is tightened down it locks the clutch instead of lining up with the groves on the basket.
I would re-check this first.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »
Warning. I've once torqued the 4 bolts on my CB500's clutch. Every time I followed the manual and torqued at the prescribed value, the heads snapped of. No exception. Ever since I have used my senses, which can be accurate and... no problem.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »
I also own an F2 (the fastest model) :). I’ll be assembling my clutch this weekend, so I’ll report back if I encounter any problems.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 09:07:07 AM »
I've seen a number of comments about the torque values and snapping old bolts so I'll be very wary and work on pinching them up plus maybe a quarter turn. Seems that subject to torque settings, the bolts are all the way in and since that's what I had previously then there must be something else I've not picked up yet.

Will check alignment too - they are old plates so they've been removed, unstuck and replaced so I'm fairly sure they are OK but it's all worth rechecking.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 09:22:31 AM »
I didn’t register a torque setting for this bolts, so I went for 6ftlbs and left it at that. Basically turned them until they ‘shouldered’ and another half turn. About as tight as I’ve ever tightened a 6mm bolt and I’ve never had a problem.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 10:32:39 AM »
Could be I did it wrong and one should yield the springs first, although I don't see how that is done.
Anyway, I always follow my uncle's (a mechanic) advice: stop just before it snaps. ;D
If you're lucky you may end up with bolts that look as eager as these Karen girls.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal