General > New Member Introductions

Hello All

(1/4) > >>

Saesneg Shaun:
Hello,
New member here. Not new to bikes but I am to seventies Hondas. Going to look at some 750K5/K6 bikes this weekend.
My being realistic and at my price point its going to be an import and its going to be a weekend rider type of thing not a show bike.
Any obvious pitfalls for a newbie. I've asked a lot of questions of the owners and the replies seem positive.
There also seems to be a good spares scene for these bikes which is encouraging.

Nurse Julie:
Welcome to the Forum Shaun.
As a Newbie, the most important thing, I feel, is for you to look past the 'bling'. Anyone can make a bike look great but it could be a pile of poo from a mechanical and engineering point of view, which can be very, very expensive to rectify. Enjoy your search.

Sesman:
Hi, Shaun.

I started from exactly your position. Neat, clean, safe and functional rather than a show pony. Not that I’ve got anything against show bikes of course. Horses for courses.

I’m still learning and would be the last person you should accept advice from, but concentrate on the motor and running gear. Everything else is decorative….but I’m guessing you know that.

philward:
Welcome Shaun - good look with the bike search

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Hi Shaun,

FWIW my experience  on my 400/4 project was/is balancing a purchase price that I could afford (initial lump sum outlay) against a projected restoration cost spread over many months  in the hope that at the end I would have a bike that I was pleased with.  Whilst I wince at my total spend over the last 16 months it has come at a cost that I can easily justify - the challenges of the build has been a real bonus during lock down with a great bunch of members here sharing their experience.  I am still many months away from completion so the ride is still a mirage on the horizon - for me it's all about the build, the highs, the lows, getting to eventually ride it is the gold at the end of the rainbow.

Go for the best starting point you can afford is my advice don't be in too much of a rush to get on the ownership ladder as invariably a month later you will probably see a better bike at less money.
Good luck with your search. Cheers Ted

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version