Author Topic: Rear disc conversion  (Read 10093 times)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2021, 08:50:09 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the

Yes once finish bolts will be either split pined, a nylock used if no heat is present or like on modern brakes all bolt thread locked  in place, as when you  think about it the only thing on modern cars and bikes that have a fist type sliding caliper,  ( including my twin disc front end) the two slide pins holding the caliper in place are just held with loctited bolts and if a bolt came loose / fell out the caliper would go the same way and only on a race bike you would drill and wire the two bolts in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:11:38 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Rear disc conversion
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2021, 09:39:21 PM »
looks really tidy ...and I definitely agree about leaving it in the raw finish. Looks really nice like that. Like its come straight out of the race shop
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline zombie365

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2021, 06:03:17 PM »
Hi Al,

Could you share what you did to get twin disk on front? did you modify standard spoked wheels?

I also have twin disk on front but with with Melber alloys. My forks and calipers are Superdream. I would prefer to have spoked wheels but unsure what is needed to get them to fit with my twin disks!

Thanks

1977 Honda CB400F

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2021, 06:05:39 PM »
I will send a link to a thread on another site where my conversion is but feel free to ask away

Best wishes Al

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2021, 06:09:05 PM »
Link sent

Let me know if it opens ok

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2021, 06:21:50 PM »
Hi all.

A quiet week while recovering from my back operation.

But my buddy has finished my “disc locker” unit in aluminium that both bolts to the disc carrier and will also  fit the internal features of the original wheel hub to “lock”the disc to the main wheel hub under braking.

Here is the 3d printed test part fitted to my finished disc carrier

It a fair piece of aluminium and the 4 legs lock into / fit in the pockets left by the bosses that are for the cush drive bonded bush’s and the slots on the disc locker miss all the internal hub webs so no side loading  is applied to these areas under braking.

Don’t see anything going anywhere and certainly over engineered for its purpose but that’s the way I like it

Just need to sit back now for a few weeks so my back can fully recover and then I can finish of the assembly and job all done.

Catch up soon.

Best wishes Al.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 06:29:56 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »
That looks suitably expensive!

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2021, 07:04:46 PM »
Hi Bryan

Not really

This part plus a new bespoke wheel pull assembly to match the caliper hanger was £140 cash and that includes material and postage too

At that price and with other stuff needed / going on like my planned back operation it was a no brainer for me to make myself  the material alone via eBay was around £50 plus my time in the evening to make once I am able to go back to work

Also just had a nice number of orders for my normal 3d printed parts including a custom RDLC horn cover where the proceeds coved the above and more so make more sense for once for me to drive a 3d printer than a CNC mill

So for once did the sensible thing and farmed it out

Best wishes Al

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 10:12:39 AM by allankelly1 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2021, 07:13:38 PM »
Mates are great, dosent stop it "looking" expensive though, ive made some wierd bits in my time including stainless sleeves to redo preunit Triumph 650 oil feed crank ends and wierd slugs for Enfield 250 forks and adapting a 70's Jeep Cherokee track control rod to take another adjustable end (odd size LH thread). How about cutting a thread on a piece of 4 inch pipe with a lathe and thread chaser(feed box stuffed!)
Have fun and get better soon
Bryan

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2021, 07:16:53 PM »
Yes I have to agreed having a mate who is handy on a CNC at a sensible rate is great and all Faz needs is a Step file of the part so no drawings need either

The real sad bit is that “beautiful” piece of machining is going to be hidden away inside the wheel hub

No doubt I will use him again for my hybrid project too

Best wishes Al

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:22:19 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2021, 09:43:15 PM »
Just had this thought whilst seeing the finished part but have you considered whether the flanges on the hub that the new carrier uses are strong enough for the forces generated by braking?

Sorry if you’ve covered this before as I’m on an IPad in bed and it’s slow to load pages so going through 14 pages isn’t an option.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2021, 09:58:23 PM »
Hi Oddjob

Not using the narrow webs at all but the locker unit places all the brake load direct on the side of all the four cast bosses that hold the four bonded bushes that carries the final drive sprocket. and due to this “drive” on the hub this is the strongest part of the hub casting as this section is also capable of handling all the drive forces created by the final drive sprocket too plus the hole / hub casting itself is strengthen further in this area via the bonded bushes steel sleeves that are pressed into the four holes from the outside of the hub.

Each leg is a “snug “ fit in this “cavity”  hence why I have a circular groove on the boss legs to create a slot so it misses the circular web shown in the second picture that is in the base of these four cavities as well as the four webs radiating out from the hub centre to  the the outside

Plus being a solid billet rather than four separate legs like the below picture means it is very strong at resisting torque loads and torque load is spread evenly over the four boss sidewalls and the four disc locker legs

Like I said maybe a bit OTT as a solution but certainly is a good solution to my problem on how to “lock” the disc to the main hub

To be honest the weakest link in both the drum or disc system has to be the torque arm mounting points but that is the same design and used the same size bolts  (M8)as an original torque arm so no change there either

Best wishes Al

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 10:14:25 AM by allankelly1 »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2021, 10:31:14 PM »
On my PC now and yes I see what you mean now.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2022, 02:54:59 PM »
Hi all

Hope you are all well

Well that’s the rear disc conversion finally finished now I am back on my feet.

This was the disc locker unit that needed a bit of fettling so it fitted snugly in the original rear hub.

Also back end now fitted with that original but now repainted Dresda swing arm, and a nice pair of YSS piggy back shocks from Brooks Suspension.

Really pleased on the final result and bike certainly looking very non standard, but will leave the final judgment to yourself

Lastly going to leave the rear disc plain for now, but may drill when the front end forks are is stripped and modified to fit the Race Tec emulator and spring kit that has finally arrived from the states

Catch up soon and have a good weekend Al

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 04:46:06 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2022, 03:08:17 PM »
that looks sooooooooo trick! pegs, shocks, swing arm and disc. :o

'Top blingin'     no G ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal