Author Topic: Rear disc conversion  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Charlie J

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear disc conversion
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »
Like Oddjob, I also wish I had access to a lathe and have been hankering after one for a while despite having absolutely no machining skills at all. I've recently been watching some instructional videos by MIT on Youtube. There are 3 videos, each about 45 minutes long which you mind find worth watching if you can't find a training course.

Google

Essential Machining Skills: Working with a Lathe, Part One
Essential Machining Skills: Working with a Lathe, Part Two
Essential Machining Skills: Working with a Lathe, Part Three

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 12:39:23 PM »
Disc sorted

In the end reduced disc by 14mm to match pad width

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 01:21:53 PM by allankelly1 »

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 12:48:19 PM »
That'll very much do!
Great playing with the lathe's, terribly satisfying, mine is still in storage as we're probably moving again quite soon so never unpacked it and then started the 400 build....doh!.    I had to go and have a check and an 'oil up' the other day to see if it was suffering but all was good. Cant wait to get it out again there's a job list building as I type!

Great project to watch on here and super interesting how you've sorted the problems you've encountered. Really looking forward to a finished part when you've managed to sort all the issues out.
Oh, and still amazed what you can turn out on that printer thingy :o you've got, utterly in awe of it. That being said, I want a mill table before I get another computer add on!! ;D

Keep at it mate 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2021, 01:07:11 PM »
Next time you get the lathe out can you make a short video for us non-engineer types?

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2021, 01:24:05 PM »
Next time you get the lathe out can you make a short video for us non-engineer types?

Yes will do

Also will try to upload a short video of the 3D printer when it is making my prototype caliper hanger

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
so many toys to have in the toybox :) I have a small 3D printer....not one that can turn out larger parts, but its still so handy. Want a lathe too now I actually have space for one. Dad has an old lathe he wants to donate to my cause.....but....it's a heavy old lump, and he's 200 miles away. Cost of transportation is crazy.

So I'm just making do with watching what other people are doing! And I love seeing projects like this unfold, and the problems getting solved one by one.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2021, 09:40:00 PM »
Bit more of the jigsaw solved and had a go at designing and printing a prototype caliper hanger tonight now my disc diameter is correct

It not quite right as need to allow a bit more clearance for the lower section of the swing arm but not too far off either so happy so far

Not at work tomorrow so can sort out the changes and print a mk2 version

Happy days

Best wishes Al

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 12:44:10 PM by allankelly1 »

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2021, 10:01:01 PM »
If you dont mind me asking, what sort of cost can you attribute to the parts you're printing and WTF do you print them out of? Sorry, learning here ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2021, 09:02:41 AM »
Very good to see this project documented,  and some great engineering skills.

Something in detail I feel that may be worth considering regarding the drive from wheel to disc flange as I can't see much detail in the photo. It looks to me as the "poles" are to be bolted to the disc carrier but doesn't appear to hold much resistance to them being displaced under torque load.
Taking a different approach would improve resistance to that possibility. If you visualise something in the form of a car brake drum bolted to the rear of the disc carrier with it's open edge toward the wheel drive lugs, then machine castellation form into the edge such that it drops within the drive lug pockets. The rotational load would be more effectively resisted with the "skin" of the drum structure to transfer torque between the two.

If the detail location is available within the structure, you could put studs into that drum face aligned with holes through the disc mount and disc such that assembly would be placing the drum into place, disc onto studs, then tighten the whole assembly (very like a car wheel stud assembly) to make a very simple and high torque transfer without having to have multiple mounts.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »
Hi K2-K6

That what I have been thinking about

The 4 poles were just an idea but going to look to see if I can develop this idea this into a solid billet rather than 4 separate legs and then design the bottom section to match as much as possible the four cavities in the hub

This will be much stronger and almost over engineered

Good this is like the other parts I can print a prototype and see how it fit before I make the final part

Catch up soon

Best wishes Al

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2021, 09:46:25 AM »
If you dont mind me asking, what sort of cost can you attribute to the parts you're printing and WTF do you print them out of? Sorry, learning here ;D
Hi

Material I am using is either PLA or ABS

If I had to estimate my print costs so far are no more than about £10 which is nothing as it saves very costly mistake later when the final part is not right

Got the caliper bracket design tweaked this morning and is now cooking on the printer

Hopefully later today it will be done and I will post some pics if it looks right

Best wishes Al

Ps v2 also has the torque arm mounting hole added too

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 09:55:58 AM by allankelly1 »

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2021, 09:49:43 AM »
You could also think about including the spacers into the caliper bracket, would certainly make it far stronger, also looks like you'd need an additional spacer between the hanger and the swinging arm or is that optical?
Hi Oldjob

The original design was not quite right as like you could see there was a issue with the swing arm to hanger clearances

Got a v2 cooking at the mo with the correct (I hope) clearances so hopefully this will be better and the hanger will sit against the wheel pulls correctly

Will post some pics later

Best wishes Al

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2021, 10:12:02 AM »
Loving this. ;D

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2021, 11:59:29 AM »
All cooked

Let hope it fits ok

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 01:05:52 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear disc conversion
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2021, 12:15:37 PM »
Lovely chubley

Happy with that

Will need to make up the required wheel spacers nearer the time that will replace the round black and white areas you see at the moment

All really that is left to do is sort out a torque arm that fits between that hole in the hanger and the original fixed pint on the swing arm and improve the hub locking assembly as per the earlier post this morning which I see as a no brainier

As the wheel assembly design is almost complete and looks totally practical and all the main problems are solved I will next look to see how I can sort the rearsets to accept a master cylinder which will need my thinking cap on as it will need to look pleasing / factory like the rear disc assembly

Hope all are enjoying the posts so far

Best wishes Al

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 12:43:42 PM by allankelly1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal