Author Topic: My friends CB500K2  (Read 1675 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
My friends CB500K2
« on: October 16, 2021, 06:12:10 PM »
A friend of mine buy projects really as a hobby then sells them on and buys another.
This is his 1973 CB500K2, originally a US import. He is putting it up for sale (he usually used free-ads in back of monthly mags.) in the spring but if anyone is interested I can put them in touch. The pipes are used but  genuine HM323s, which  I sold him, two of which he had rechromed.
PM me if you are interested.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:16:34 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: My friends CB500K2
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 06:47:52 AM »
Very nice bike. I wonder, is that sticker on the tyre correct for the year though? :-)
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 07:59:44 AM »
Is that the one sold by orkneyman recently with the cylinder head removed?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »
That is a thing of sheer beauty - too nice to ride outside and get flys spattered all over it!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 09:37:05 AM »
Lovely.
I used to stare enviously at the adverts for the 500 which were all over the bike mags in the 72-73 period when I rode around (sometimes) on my Triumphs, before I bought one in 74. We never had the green, so the nostalgia bit is not there. I had brown that a professional sprayer at work sprayed blue for me after a year!
I now have red, gold, green and beaten up and dented to choose from.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 12:52:23 PM »
Is that the one sold by orkneyman recently with the cylinder head removed?

No
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »
Relief. I’ve sent you a pm.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 12:59:10 PM »
Very nice bike. I wonder, is that sticker on the tyre correct for the year though? :-)

Not sure but I will ask him this afternoon when I see him.

He's not touched the bottom end but he inspected the top end and re-ringed it/ new gaskets but not much else AFAIK. Chroming was done by Quality Chrome in Hull.

The paint has just been done by a guy near Goole who did his Triumph 500 twin but doesn't do it for a living anymore. (RS Bikepaint candy + 2 pack clear coat, painted on stripes).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 04:41:01 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »
Relief. I’ve sent you a pm.

Yes  I replied to PM  and I will put you onto him 1st. once I see him in an hour or so.  If it turns out  no interest,  then I can pass anyone else on who is interested. Sounds fair to me. It's not advertised anywhere .. he was going to hang on till spring... always uses magazine free ads never eBay or other.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 02:11:02 PM »
Sound. I’ve replied to your pm.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 01:22:13 PM »
Hi, Ash……deal done. Jim is a lovely bloke and great to deal with.

The bike was nicely presented and fired up right away. I think I’m going to be really pleased and it’s definitely a keeper for me. Can’t wait to do some fiddling, hopefully without damaging any of Jim’s good work. Its easy to see he cares about his work and the bike is a credit to him.

My sincere thanks for making this available through the forum.

Kindest regards

Phil.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
Welcome to the CB500/4 club Phil 😁😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 07:51:01 AM »
Hi, Ash……deal done. Jim is a lovely bloke and great to deal with.

The bike was nicely presented and fired up right away. I think I’m going to be really pleased and it’s definitely a keeper for me. Can’t wait to do some fiddling, hopefully without damaging any of Jim’s good work. Its easy to see he cares about his work and the bike is a credit to him.

My sincere thanks for making this available through the forum.

Kindest regards

Phil.

Glad it worked out OK Phil and nice that the bike is staying fairly local. Julie/Trigger  will recognise the seat on that bike  :)

I met Jim via an  eBay sale  a few years back, when I sold him some CB72 parts and now we are good buddies.
I am currently helping him out with parts for his next project .... a very rough UK CB250K4
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:52:56 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »
Cheers Ash.

There are a few items to sort on the bike: clocks and alternator cover plus a few other trivial bits and bats. I’ll probably take the motor down next year if and when funds allow as as I’m OCD on motors. Though to be fair it sounds just fine with no undue knocks, rattles or rumbles. At least to my untrained ear.

Jim mentioned the seat and oddly enough I mentioned it to Julie during other business and she recalled that sale.

Thanks again for your help…never thought I’d be a two time SOHC owner with a 95% complete resto 10 months ago. I’m seeing Jim this weekend and I’ll ask for his opinion on my 550 work. As a novice  I value expert feedback.

Anybody want a 1976 F1 Frame?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 10:46:37 AM »
Cheers Ash.

There are a few items to sort on the bike: clocks and alternator cover plus a few other trivial bits and bats. I’ll probably take the motor down next year if and when funds allow as as I’m OCD on motors. Though to be fair it sounds just fine with no undue knocks, rattles or rumbles. At least to my untrained ear.

Jim mentioned the seat and oddly enough I mentioned it to Julie during other business and she recalled that sale.

Thanks again for your help…never thought I’d be a two time SOHC owner with a 95% complete resto 10 months ago. I’m seeing Jim this weekend and I’ll ask for his opinion on my 550 work. As a novice  I value expert feedback.

Anybody want a 1976 F1 Frame?

Yes I would personally have deffo changed the camchain as a matter of course ( I have the Honda Cam chain tool if you ever need it, that was used on the CB500T/450 DOHC). He did take the bores to be checked out and I ultrasoniced the pistons and they looked fine plus he fitted new rings, which is a bonus. He asked me last week  if I had a little flap spare for the seat lock but I had given my spare away the day before to Trigger  ;D  I will have a look to see if I have another. If you need any clock spares I may have some.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal