Author Topic: Anyone tried TIG Brazing ? Exhaust repair and rechroming.  (Read 394 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Anyone tried TIG Brazing ? Exhaust repair and rechroming.
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:31:43 AM »
Anyone on here had a go at TIG brazing ?

I have watched a few videos and they seem to use a #10 'Jazzy' Furick ceramic cup and the argon flow rate turned up to about 10 l/min. (just ordered a kit to try out).
They also seem to use silicon bronze brazing rods (no need for flux as the argon shields the braze).

Anyone know if silicon bronze can be chrome plated over OK? All the platers I have asked  are always very vague on what materials you can used to do repairs. The one in Hull says you can only fill repairs with steel but that's b*llocks, because I silver solder repaired my CB500K0 headlamp brackets and they turned out fine (I silver soldered them but Marquerstore in Coventry re-chromed them). Problem is that the exhaust I am repairing has lots of fixed internal baffling so the only chromers that will touch it in the north/midlands are the guy in Hull or Agbrigg in Leeds .. Agbrigg want £350 to chrome it, which is too expensive IMHO. The guy in Hull is about £200. He just chromed two of my mates CB500K2 pipes and they look a decent job. Agbrigg rechromed his CB450 silencers a couple of years ago and he reckons the quality wasn't brilliant.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 12:06:09 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal